System Admin. Lab

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data:

Create a group id with your last name. Create 2 user IDs using your last name and the numbers 1 and 2. For each ID setup a profile similar to the lab 6 profile.

1. Relevant commands, code, scripts, algorithms:

System Administration

1. The attempts at a solution (include all code and scripts):
groupadd lastname  
useradd -u 1 -g lastname1 -d /home/lastname1  
useradd -u 2 -g lastname2 -d /home/lastname2

The lab 6 profile is this (not sure how I would add it for each user??):

date
who
export PS1='${PWD}'
PATH=$PATH:$HOME:$PWD

Am I right and/or close?

1. Complete Name of School (University), City (State), Country, Name of Professor, and Course Number (Link to Course):

Brookdale Community College - Lincroft, New Jersey - United States - Dr. Rick Bournique- COMP 145

Note: Without school/professor/course information, you will be banned if you post here! You must complete the entire template (not just parts of it).

This looks pretty close yes.

Each individual user has their own ~/.profile file or equivalent, whichever their shell uses, in their own home directory. That is how you'd set it up.

Can I just use the cp command to copy from my directory to the new user's profile or is there a better way?

My 2 cents:
My understanding (but Im a foreigner...) :
1 and 2 are to be used to make your username for uid 1,2 on most system are already used ( look at /etc/passwd...)
the groupname uses your lastname so there is only 1 group and 2 users
( Do I see 2 groups and no username? ...)
What was the result of your commands?

You could copy with cp or if you copied as suggested by Corony all the templates for most shells, you could append to the used profile (since I did not see what shell is being used...) be sure about owner and perms on these files...