System activity

Hi,
I want to find program's file read,write for a particular time.For example i am executing an application called test1, this will get input from some parameter files(file1,file2,file3) and it will write to some files(file4,file5), so i want to execute one program which will capture these activities and give me brief output on that application.Please advice me how to achieve this?

Regards,
Nags.

You want information on the time it takes to read & write a file?
Or you want to know what process was reading writing a certain file at a given time?

Pick one.

Hi jim,
My objective is to find the program excution flow for that particular program(As per my previous example say "test1" program).
For example i am executing the "test1" program.Now i want to know what are the file this "test1" program accessing.I think now you might understand little better?

Regards,
Nags.

You will probably need a collection of tools to achieve this:

Use the "truss" command, which will tell you which files are being accessed by a process.

You might want to use some of the statistics provided by "filemon" too, read the manpage of "filemon" and its related tools (trcrpt, trcstop, ... ) and prepare to spend some time doing that, it is a complex tool.

You might want to include "iostat" into your arsenal for a closer look at the devices once you have found out on which disks the process of interest is reading/writing from/to.

Not to mention general(ized) tools to monitot I/O activity: "svmon", "vmstat -v", etc.

I hope this helps.

bakunin