Switching from production to development envirornment in UNIX

I had a unix scripts in prod. I need to made changes in those scripts which I don't have the edit access. I need to move those scripts from prod to dev to edit. Please tell me how to switch from production to development, So that I can made changes in dev and again move those scripts to Prod.

Thanks,
Rajesh

Welcome Rajeswararao,

Well, where do I start?

Can you tell us what you have to work with?, e.g. ServerA (prod) runs Solaris 11, ServerB (dev) runs RHEL7

It would be useful to know if you can at least read the files on production and if you have access to the super-user account (usually root) on either server.
Are the servers able to talk directly with ssh/sftp/scp or can they both talk to another server you can use to move the files to?

If you are after multiple files, perhaps using tar to bundle them into a single archive file would be simpler to move.

You would need to be far more descriptive to give us a chance to help you.

What have you tried so far?

Robin

1 Like

I am working with HP server for both dev and prod

I am having all the permissions for all required files in dev but in prod I don't have the write permission( I can read and execute the files in prod).
Servers are able to talk with ssh

I am having a UNIX script in which I need to make changes but I don't have the write permission. I thought I can move the files from prod to dev, so I can make the changes and again move to prod. Is this correct way?

Thanks,
Rajesh

How do you expect to move if you don't have the write permission?