Switching from dial-up to DSL on Windows

I have been using dial up for my internet connection for the past 6 months on Windows. Before that, I used DSL. Now, I am trying to switch back to DSL but I can't connect to internet on my Windows.

there is no problem, I am sure, on the DSL connection, since I have dual-boot Linux installed and DSL works fine on there.

Besides, everything looks fine on Windows, such as the Network connections and the internet connection notification icon and so on; it shows the computer is connected to high speed internet, but when I open the browser, it just can't find the web. Neither do the applications such as putty.

Any idea? is there some settings I need to change since I switched from dial up to DSL?

thanks

I haven't used modem for a long time, but the things you can check : your NIC settings - you said you've already done that, try refreshing the DNS settings, try ping, traceroute, run "ipconfig /all" and see what it reports. Try calling the help desk, they may help with useful advice, as a last resort, try rebooting the PC, make sure to disable firewalls and anti-virus programs , just to rule them out.

Double click on the network connection on the control panel. You should get a little window. Click on properties to get a 2nd little window. It should have a box labelled "this connection uses:". Click on "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" to highlight that line. Now click on properties to get a 3rd window. Here you need to click "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain a DNS server address automatically".

I don't know how to thank you Perderabo, it worked.

I was very frustrated for days... Again, thanks.

thanks to you too sysgate.