Switching between Windows and UNIX

I have both UNIX and Windows on my system. While booting it asks for me to select an OS. Once I log in to an OS, then to log in to another OS, there is no direct method. I need to shutdown and again start to select another OS.
May I know any method to directly switch between the two.

Better to use Oracle VM VirtualBox and access both OS in parallel.

Showdown, is it something that I can download from internet and install on my Windows OS.
Please elaborate somewhat so that I can get the required done at the earliest.

Hi,

Oracle VM VirtualBox is a freeware which can be downloaded from Oracle site itself. Once download configure it with at least 10GB of sp

VirtualBox Downloads

Follow the below steps to configure.

How to Install Oracle VM VirtualBox and Create a Virtual Machine

Thanks.:slight_smile:

Hi
Among the options available for downloading, there are Fedora 18 (spherical), Fedora 17 (Beefy) and Fedora 16 (verni)
Mine I checked was written Feora, Release 9 (sulphur).
Which one may I download. If you say I will send you screen shot of the system information.
Also how to check whether it's 64 or 32 bit platform.

Go to My Computer rt clk and then properties There u can see whether ur system is a 32 bit or 64bit processor. And check In Linux the release releted file in /etc/ path to know the version of Fedora. or u can find it in my computer too(Linux) download as per that and work on windows and Linux side by side.

Showdown, yes I got the processor.
Although there is no file by name /etc/path and also in my computer on right click, I didn't get the version(screenshot attached named system1) but from menu bar I got the version. The screen shot showing this is named "system ".
Please have a look at this screenshot. But as I mentioned in my last post, the fedora 18/17/16 isn't mine. Mine is Fedora 9(sulphur). Please refer the screenshot.
So, I think I should try to download any and proceed ahead. What you say?

Waiting eagerly for your reply!

Download this one

download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/4.2.10/VirtualBox-4.2.10-84105-Win.exe

And I asked for whether its a 32 bit or 64 bit processor. which u can see by rt clicking --> Properties on my computer in Windows.

Mine is 32 bit.
So I am downloading the one you have mentioned.
I would update you regarding my progress.

---------- Post updated at 07:31 AM ---------- Previous update was at 07:14 AM ----------

Just clarifying one point: I haven't gone through the other document named 'how to install virtual box ...' but would like to clarify that the existing 2 OS that are installed (UNIX AND WINDOWS) in my system needn't be removed? i.e., I don't have to again install the 2 OS?

Yes it's downloaded successfully.
Next, when I simply opened it and it asked for installation. I clicked yes and it started installing. (Yesterday I downloaded one link for the fedora 16 as mentioned in the oracle website but when I opened it , it didn't install. and a message came that : windows can't open, search from net or use other appl. to open. From this it's a good signal that the file you provided to download is the right one.)
As per the document "how to install oracle VM Virual .....", I need to 1st add 'mirror' in /etc/apt/sources.lst. That means, in Linux I need to add? and if so which one to be added among the options available?
Adding that without following the document, when I started installing the downloaded file by pressing 'next', I got the output as displyed in the screenshot 'oracle1'. From this screenshot its clear that it isn't installed properly.
Also, while installation when it asked me to install one application as shown in the other screenshot named 'oracle', I denied.

Also, the link to download the public key took me to google search site where many links where there. So, do I need to check in those sites one by one to get the key?
After your reply, I w'll get direction to proceed.
Thanks and waiting for your reply

No need to uninstall any of the OS. Using VM you can run buth the OS at a time.

And ur later post issues regarding Installation of Virtual box...

I did it for Open suse and it worked fine for me.  Need to  see the issue U faced while installing . I will look into the issue and get back to you asap.

Please find the document you had sent and clarify me what needs to be done and where as it's mentioned "First, add one of the following mirrors....."
Then please clarify the public key point also.

Did it ask for any mirror or something while installing? and also any key?
U can go for a default installation allocating HD and ram size. If it asks for any DL mirror please paste the screenshot which will be helpful to analyze.

Actually i did it for OpenSUSE and it didn,t give any hurdle while installing.

Yes it installed successfully. The issue with my earlier installation was that while installing the virtual box, when it asked me to install an application, I denied (I had mentioned you regarding this in my post 5 days back where 2 screenshots are attached). This time I accepted and it successfully installed.
Thanks a lot for your support.
Now, I would proceed ahead to create virtual machines and update you regarding the progress.

Where there is a shell .there is a way...

Yes I have successfully installed the virtual machine (screen shot named Guest_Linux_installed). When I started it, I got what the screen shot shows (name of screen shot: Guest_Linux_run).
That means I need to install Linux once again on this Virtual Machine. That means, it can't access the Linux OS that is already installed.
OK, I proceed ahead with installing OS.

Problem occured while installing Linux on the virtual machine . Please see the screenshot named "Linux2" showing the error.
Also, just for your reference attaching the 2 other files.
Please suggest what next to be done.
Got stuck!!
Waiting for your advice please!

It's telling you what's wrong -- you're trying to install a 64-bit operating system in a 32-bit virtual machine. Try installing a 32-bit operating system.

Well Corona, the same Linux OS when I installed directly in my laptop, it installed properly.
Now, the virtual machine is not accepting it!! O.K. I got it. Thanks.

Now, as per your post, please provide link to download a 32-bit Linux OS

Which is preferred OS to download. Fedora, ubuntu, suse, etc.