Switch Technology from .NET to UNIX Shell

Hello friends,

I started my career with VB.6.0 in 2007, In 2008 moved in VB.NET window application programming and then for web application programming with C#,ASP.NET with different databse like Oracle,MySQL and SQL Server.Currently I have 4.7 years experience in .NET application and worked with different .NET versions (2003,2005,2008,2010).
Now a days I work with good MNC , but fed up with .NET frequent changes for stability.

I want to move from .NET to Unix shell and Perl programming.Please let me know how I can move from .NET to Unix Shell programming,What book I should learn for Unix Shell and Perl Programming.How stable is it than .NET ?
Will my current .NET experience help me in UNIX job ?

I have woking experience on
VB.6.0,VB.NET,C#,ASP.NET,Javascript,Crystel Report,SSRS,Oracle,My SQL,SQL Server.MS Access.

Thanks

As you have 4.7 years exp. have you thought of go into non-technical role as lead/manager.?

Thanks Pamu for your response.

Any developer can get lead role after 7 year experience and manager 8+ years in good MNC.

Yes. for manager you should have 8+ exp. But for lead it's varies as per the project. And i think this is possible for 4-5 years exp you can get lead role.

For Unix Books check this link

Well know MNC give SSE position with 5 year experiences , thats why I am still SE :slight_smile:
SO Lead and Manger position is very far.

Its really nice to know u want to cum in Unix field. Here is the link for a unix book u can follow and download I believe it will be helpful for u...it is not too much theoritical here mainly practical basic things which u can brush up fast..

UNIX Shell Programming in 24 hours.pdf - 4shared.com - document sharing - download

But unix will be a maintenance job normally until u cum to the programming side of it. Perl is used normally server side programming and specially in network areas. Will be back to u with a perl book which can be understand fast.

Thanks Amisubha,

Yes I am looking programming job only , as I have 4.7 years programming experience.

Nice to see your quick comment.
Here I am also looking , how is the future and job stability of
Unix Sell Scripting , Perl , C , C++ ?

Generally shell/perl scripting knowledge is required for senior linux/unix administrator positions not software engineer.

Need for C/C++ is not that great nowadays and if there are positions, a great deal of experience is required with these languages (at least a couple of years of work experience with big C/C++ projects).

Its different situation with Objective-C, its need and usage is on a rise. If I'd have to learn a new interesting language I'd definitely start with Objective-C in your case, its also more .NET'ish than basic C/C++ since libstdc and libstdc++ cover very basic functionality and are mainly targeted to 'do it yourself' programmers while Objective-C comes packed with libraries that cover stuff from A to Z. Also Objective-C+Gnustep/cocoa is a direct competitor to C#+.NET to relation what they can do and how they do it.

If you are looking for bright future and stability, I'd recommend you sticking with what you can do best and improving on it, since .NET is not going away any time soon and finding a job that requires .NET skills is relatively easy.

Its quite difficult to get into this field. openings are less. but unix is used for maintenance jobs as well like server maintenance and all. But system programming is done mainly on linux. But as I told u openings are less and they ask for experience on this field. But it has a great future in india specially in abroad. But mind it one thing u must must have the interest to work on this field else its quite difficult to work here. First make ur mind set and come for it. Brush up all your operating system knowledge from Silverthz-Galvin book.