Swinstall and rsync - execute permission denied

Hello,

I have managed to install rsync using swinstall and also as far as I can tell the dependancies we didn't have. However when trying to execute the binary I get the following error :-

[servername]/>rsync
sh: rsync: Execute permission denied.
[servername]/>which rsync
/usr/local/bin/rsync
[servername]/>/usr/local/bin/rsync
sh: /usr/local/bin/rsync: Execute permission denied.
[servername]/>

The server version is : HP-UX hermes B.11.11 U 9000/800 2284397868 unlimited-user license

The depot file I used was: rsync-3.1.1-hppa-11.31.depot

My assumption is that as I was using a 11.31 depot file and were using 11.31 HP-UX I need the 11.11 depot file as upgrading the server isn't an option any time soon for a number of reasons. :eek:

Would I be correct? and if so, does anyone know of where I can get a depot file for 11.11 HP-UX? :wink:

Thanks
YB

You can get a depot file for v1 here :
HP-UX Porting and Archiving Centre | rsync-3.1.0

Please, use the version for your architecture.

Also you will need to install all the runtime dependencies for rsync to work (which are listed on depot link i gave you).

Looks like you will need to compile some of the dependencies, since they are only provided as a source code.

Regards
Peasant.

Thanks Peasant,

Are you saying that using depot files fro dependancies wont work, that I have to manually build them?

Server version : HP-UX hermes B.11.11 U 9000/800 2284397868 unlimited-user license

Does this mean that "rsync-3.1.1-hppa-11.31.depot" isn't the right version of for the operating system? Should I be looking for a file called "rsync-3.1.1-hppa-11.11.depot" instead? Onbviously I realise this would apply for the rsync depot file and the other dependancy.

Thanks

No you have a PARISC in 11.11 (11i or 11i.v1...) and you chose the package for 11.31 (11i.v3...)

Thanks vbe, you have confirmed what I suspected that the file name portion with 11-31 does relate to the OS version and that I have the wrong ones. I had asked this question before but had no reply on it.

As I can't find 11-11 depot files I have decided to download source and compile instead. There are alot of dependancies but hopefully I will get what I need installed. Unless there are 11-11 depot files available anywhere, but I couldn't find them. Our OS is out of date so not exactly best situation to be in.

Thanks for the replies.:slight_smile:

11.11 is very stable and PA-RISC are very good processors, maybe a bit slow compared to new generations but so reliable... So I can understand...

1 Like

Thanks vbe, thats good to know.:slight_smile:

when you type model , what do you get?

/release_backups>model
9000/800/rp3410

One of the last PA-RISC box made then.. a dual core PA8800...
The P in the model name is for the processor: P=PA-RISC, X=Intel Itanium
You can run 11iv2 on it (11.23 I think...) but is it worth the trouble?...

1 Like

Thanks vbe, think we will keep the version we have based on your comments :slight_smile: