Suse Linux enterprise 10 - booting problem

Hi,

It was happened to close my laptop without proper shutdown due to power failure with USB device connected to it. (removed the USB after shut down)

After this incident, I was not able to boot my suse linux OS.

Initial study reveals that the device is not unmounted properly and shows the device is busy.
(Sorry I don�t have exact screenshot to give further details)

Any help on how to fix this issue is very well appreciated.

thanks

Additional information:
reiserfsck file system damaged
cannot read or write
so log canceled also bad block created.
need to repair the reiserfsck file system

reiserfsck is needed. You'll want to boot from CD/DVD and go to rescue mode. Once at a root shell, you can do the reiserfsck --rebuild-tree. That command effectively scans the corrupted filesystem and rebuilds things from what it discovers. The reiserfs v3 is more like a large data structure on the disk... and so when bad blocks or certain bad shutdown situation occur, it gets corrupted. I've done --rebuild-tree many times successfully. My personal recommendation is to not use reiserfs on a something like a laptop (unless you are very careful to power it down nicely, running out of battery without any kind of power mgmt will likely cause the scenario, or just hard rebooting even...).

1 Like

Cjcox,

Thank for the reply.

However i have not suceeded in that attempt.

Please find the below information (taken from screenshot) and kindly reply back if you can able to assist on it.

The Problem has occured looks like a hardward problem. If you have bad blocks, we advice you to get a new hard drive, because once you get one bad block that the disk drive internals can't hide from your sight, the chances of getting more are generally said to become much higher (precise statistics are unknown to us, and this disk drive is probably not expensive enough for you to you to risk your time and data on it. if you don't want to follow that advice then if you have just a few bad blocks, try writing to the bad blocks and see if the drive remaps the bad blocks (that means it takes a block it has in reserve and allocates it for use for of that block number. If it cannot remap the block, use badblock option (-B) with reiserfs utils to handle this block correctly.

bread: cannot read the block 4738385: (Input/Output) error.