Supporting NIC speed

Hi,
I have few Solaris (9 and 10) servers, whose consoles are running on 10 MBPs. Now, Network team is changing their switch, which doesn't support 10 MBPs and we need to check if console all of those servers will support 100MBPs or more.
Is there any way to check supported (or maximum supported) speed on console. Most of them are sc, rsc and ilom.
Regards

Usually, this is more a question of having the faster NIC. It has been decades since system infrastructure could not handle 100M/64 double words per second (640 nanosecond RAM cycles) peak. Software, of course, does not care.

dladm show-dev

gives a list of active/inactive NICs

Lets say you have a ce0 or a bge1

kstat -p bge:0 | grep -i parameter

Gives capabilities like

bge:0:parameters:1000fdx_cap    1
bge:0:parameters:1000hdx_cap    1
bge:0:parameters:100fdx_cap     1
bge:0:parameters:100hdx_cap     1
bge:0:parameters:100T4_cap      0
bge:0:parameters:10fdx_cap      1
bge:0:parameters:10hdx_cap      1
bge:0:parameters:adv_1000fdx_cap        1
bge:0:parameters:adv_1000hdx_cap        1
bge:0:parameters:adv_100fdx_cap 1
bge:0:parameters:adv_100hdx_cap 1
adv_1000fdx_cap        1
1000fdx_cap    1 

-> where 1000 mbps capacity true (1==true 0 ==false)

You have a bunch of hardware, I don't know all of what you need to look at. HTH.

Thanks Jim for the reply.
I edited my question. Sorry for the confusion. Actully I wanted to check speed of consoles, which are sc, rsc, ilom.

So are the consoles cabled directly to each server or are they somehow pushed through a network, perhaps with a small box plugged in the console port and the network? I've seen HP servers like this ages ago.

I must admit that most of my servers are all virtual, so the supervising partition beastie (HMC or VIO for AIX) give you a virtual terminal, so that's not a worry. The nearest I get is for those servers that have a serial port only, but we have a Cyclades terminal server in place. It takes all the serial cables in centrally and we can connect by telnet to a specific port. I only have to ensure that the ethernet port on the Cyclades server is up to scratch.

Could you describe a bit more what you have for a typical server/console?

Thanks in advance,
Robin
Liverpool/Blackburn
UK

Hi Robin,
You are right. In my list I have Sun hardware V240, 480R, V440, V490 and Netra-T12. They have console card i.e. sc, rsc, alom or ilom and their cables are connected to a switch. As of now it is configured on 10 MBPs on console port of server as well as switch port. Servers's nic speen can be checked by dladm and kstat. But I am not able to find supported speed (if this can support 100 MBPs) of console on server side.
Regards

a quick, cursory check of the Sun System Handbook ..

V240 alom port is 10baseT
V480 RSC card port is 10baseT
V490 RSC/ALOM card port.. I'm not sure. Possibly 100baseT, but probably 10baseT.
Netra-T12 ? don't have one, don't know.

you may have to ask the network team to provide an additional switch that does support the old 10baseT devices.

I have a similar situation here.. main network upgraded to 10G, but I have all my rsc/lom, ups, intelligent power strips, etc. on a slower 10/100 subnet behind a firewall so only authorized users can access.

2 Likes

I got, Thanks for info.
For now, I will suggest network team to stick to old switch only, since most of the console supports only 10 mbps