SunFire 280R maintenance LED is on and no display

I got the system couple of days back from one of my friend. Last night I turned it on and I noticed that maintenance LED is on. At the same time I added an LCD monitor via VGA and nothing was showing on the screen. Though the system does not have any HDD So not sure if system will even show a BIOS screen when it is not present.

I took all RAM out, display card out, additional card out and then put them back.

I wanted to know whether the system is in working state before I buy a HDD. Also I checked all fans are on also there is an LED shows green on the bottom mother board and it is on. Power LED is also on.

I tried booting from CD but no luck. When power is turning on I see that system does check for CD and LED is blinking on CD.

Try connecting a PC's serial port to ttya on the back of the 280R. Start Hyperterm (or some other serial comm app) and select com1 on your PC. Then cold-cycle the 280R and see what you get.

HTH

Thanks for the information!

The only problem that I see now is that I dont have any PC that has serial port, I have a PC with quad processor 4GB RAM and Vista is running so not sure if it can simulate the triggers if I use USB to Serial convertor.

Another thought ... you could use a u*x system's serial port to connect to the 280R. Then you would use something like tip (in place of HyperTerm).

One last thing, if you have access to an old serial printer you could connect that directly to the ttya port on the back of the 280R and power cycle the system. Good Luck!! :smiley:

1 Like