SunBlade 1000, 'blocked' when trying to install Solaris 10

HW: SunBlade 1000 w/2x CPUs, DVD-ROM, XVR-1200
SW: Solaris 10 DVDs direct from Sun

Tried: probing scsi, boot -r, reset-all

When booting off cd: boot cdrom

Boot device: /pci@8, 700000/scsi/scsi@6/disk@6,0:f  File and args:
SunOS Release 5.10 Version Generic_141444-09 64-bit
Copyright 1983-2009 Sun Microsystems, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Use is subject to license terms.
WARNING: pcisch0: ino 0xc blocked

and, it just hangs here.

A quick google, shows a bug that was patched already: Bug ID: 4415813 pcic fails to claim some of its interruptsAny thoughts on how I can get Solaris 10 installed?

Thank you! :smiley:

the error should not be in solaris 10 anymore... but the workaround is the following line in /etc/system and in this case the /etc/system in the solaris miniroot file:

set pcisch:pci_unclaimed_intr_max=0xffff

to set this you have to build a install server and chane the miniroot or build your own DVD with the changes to the miniroot.

you need this commands to unpack the miniroot and later pack it again:

/boot/solaris/bin/root_archive  unpack  archive root

/boot/solaris/bin/root_archive pack minirootfiles miniroot.new

don't know if this works... but you might want to try...

hth,
DN2

DN2,
Thanks for the tip, I may try that shortly.

In the mean-time, I reset-all, and probe-scsi-all, rebooted.

I was able to boot to disk and get to a shell.

I added the line you mentioned and from the bug report to /etc/system and tried to install Solaris 10 again off the DVDs. Unfortunately, same stupid ino 0xc blocked message. I understand it is probably reading the one from the disk and not on the machine, but I wanted to verify for sanity.

Interestingly, I cannot boot openSolaris, or Aurora Linux. I get can't read label and magic number errors.

the miniroot is on the DVD and this one needs to be patched... or the miniroot on the installserver...

DN2, Thanks again for your reply. Popped the DVD out, put it in a system that I have a dvd writer on after re-pack. Looking at the contents, there is a /boot with two files in it hsfs.bootblock and sparc.miniroot. The directory you specify doesn't exist. I also looked at the CD image from the website and there is also a /boot, but with a boot_archive file and a /boot/solaris/bin with create_ramdisk and extract_boot_filelist which appear as small scripts. Also, 'unpack' is a command I am not aware of. Any thoughts? Thanks mate!

sparc.miniroot ist the archive you need... there should be the /etc/system file inside that archive.

DN2,
Thanks again.

Looks like 'root_archive' with the 'unpack' utility is only on installed SPARC systems which I don't have, not accessible any other way. :frowning:

So, I am following a guide here to update miniroot: how to unpack sparc.miniroot? - Database Forum

Can't find any apps that will open an uncompressed UFS iso. Weird, tried a bunch of linux utils, mac utils and x86 utils and nothing likes it.

Wish this were a beat easier. But, I guess this is my welcome to Solaris 10 gift basket. :slight_smile:

---------- Post updated at 07:48 PM ---------- Previous update was at 05:02 PM ----------

Still no luck!
Mounted the DVD on a Solaris system (downloaded the VBOX image from Sun).

So, now when I run:

/boot/solaris/bin/root_archive unpack /temp/images/sparc.miniroot.old editablemini.miniroot.old

gzcat: /temp/images/sparc.miniroot.old: not in gzip format
getdisk/read: Inappropriate ioctl for device
/dev/lofi/2: Error 0
/dev/rlofi/2: No such device or address
Unknown_fstyp (no matches)
invalid root archive
  • Install a SPARC system with Solaris 10 10/08 or higher
  • Boot system from disk
  • /etc/init.d/volmgt stop
  • mkdir -p /temp/images
  • mkdir -p /temp/miniroot_tree
  • Insert Solaris 10 SPARC DVD into drive
  • mount -F hsfs /mnt
  • cp /mnt/boot/sparc.miniroot /temp/images/sparc.miniroot.old
  • umount /mnt
  • /boot/solaris/bin/root_archive unpack /temp/images/
    sparc.miniroot.old \
    /temp/miniroot_tree

Yup, tried that.
The last line causes the same error from my previous post.

gzcat: /temp/images/sparc.miniroot.old: not in gzip format
getdisk/read: Inappropriate ioctl for device
/dev/lofi/2: Error 0
/dev/rlofi/2: No such device or address
Unknown_fstyp (no matches)
invalid root archive