Sun Ultra5 no output TTYA

Hi everyone,

I have bought a Sun ultra5 and I would like to connect it with serial DB25 Port.

I have a DB25 to DB9 converter connected to DB9 to USB port.

I have tried on windows and GNU/LINUX OS with this configs:

8 bits
9600 baud
no parity
no control flow

I have tried the same config with hardware control flow.

The computer seems to work because the CPU produces heat and the video framebuffer said that it couldn't detect keyboard.

For me , it's just a problem of serial configuration .

Do you have any ideas ?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome!

Ensure you have 1 stop bit configured.

And between two boxes you normally need a null modem cable.
A straight cable and one null modem adapter should do it as well.

Thanks for your answer .
I will try to build a null modem and retry.
I have just bought on eBay a sun keyboard. I hope the computer will works with the keyboard.

Yes, if it detects a keyboard during boot then it uses the keyboard/fullscreen console.

AFAIR the Ultra-5 keyboard has the old PS/2-style (Mini-DIN) connector.? (Running a multi-device protocol, not the simple PS/2 protocol. Later keyboards got USB.)

1 Like

Yes, unplug keyboard, @MadeInGermany is spot on. Also, read this for serial pin- out.

1 Like

It's the type 5 connector I think. I have bought an old sun keyboard type5c (with cable attached)
This afternoon, I have tried to make a NULL modem cable but it didn't work :frowning: .
If you want , I can publish pictures of my electrical build .
I tried my NULL modem cable between two differents computers(windows and ubuntu linux using picocom and teraterm for windows) and it's worked really well.
I don't know if it's possible , but I think the ultra 5 EEPROM have bad ttya config .
I have bought this computer from a French public auction from an high school. They don't know the exact config. But it wouldn't surprise me that ttya is disabled in EEPROM open boot.

If you attach the Sun keyboard and after power on enter STOP-N a few times that should blow out any eeprom variables and leave you at default.

1 Like

Thanks for your answer !
I just received the keyboard.
It works perfectly well .

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.