Sun Ultra 10 hardware compatibility

How can I check if a Sun Ultra 10 workstation supports 40GB IDE drives?

Thanks!

It does. I'm almost positive. We have Ultra 10's with bigger drives than that where I work. So unless some can and some can't installing a 40 GB should be no problem.

To double-check, you can go to docs.sun.com which is there documentation website. You should be able to find the Ultra 10 documentation including hardware manuals there.

You should go to Sunsolve and in the middle of the page there is a place to lookup servers. Under Desktops you will find the Ultra10. Pick it and you will get this info - there you can find all the different configurations that will work with the U10.

on the sun sites you will only find the supported disks..... sun does not support 40 GB disks in an u10, but they also only support their own disks.... :wink:

greetings Pre�y
PS.:
i'm running an u10 with mirrored 40gb disks...

I've found the supported disks list for U10 at http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Systems/U10/components.html and there is no 40GB supported drive.

I can take a 40GB drive from my PC and put it into the U10 but I don't know what commands I should type to the OK prompt (and what their output should be) to check if they are compatible. Can you please give me some hints?

Thanks!

At the ok prompt use probe-ide to see what is on your ide controllers. If the disk shows up there the box can see it at least.

My U10 works fine with two 40GB mirrored HDDs.

Thank you guys!