Sun T3-1 hardware RAID

Hi all

I've just received my T3-1. It has 8 disks and I would like to configure RAID1 on the disks. The Sun documentation states that you can either use the OpenBoot PROMP utility called Fcode or you can use software via the Solaris OS.

The documentation doesn't make it clear if:

1. The drives are hot swappable if the RAID is configured using Fcode
  2. How would I know if a drive failed (or is busy failing) if the RAID utility is only accessible from OBP.

Does anyone have any experience configuring RAID on a T3-1 server?

Many thanks

you can use the "raidctl" utility in solaris to check your raid status...

Sun's documentation (for the T3-1) does not mention the raidctl utility at all.

which means it doesn't work?

I don't know if raidctl will work on the T3-1. If Sun's documentation tells you to download 3rd party software if you want to manage hardware RAID from the OS, then I doubt raidctl is supported.

It seems someone else also tried raidctl and it didn't work:

Sparc T3-1 questions

:confused:

but the answer is inside the above thread... you have to work from obp level to create raid volumes. or you can use zfs and slvm to do software raid.

What I would like to know is:

1.) If I create the RAID volumes from the OBP, how would the OS know when a disk has failed?

2.) In the event of a disk failure, do I have to bring the server down to the OBP to replace the disk OR is it a case of swapping the drives and OBP is clever enough to update itself with the new device path etc?

---------- Post updated at 03:05 PM ---------- Previous update was at 12:13 PM ----------

Things just got even more interesting. It seems I'm limited to 2 volumes if I configure RAID from OBP. What's that about?

The server can take 16 disks and I'm limited to only 2 RAID 1 volumes, surely that can't be right?