Sun Studio 11 install on Solaris 8 hanging

I am trying to install Sun Studio 11 on a Solaris 8 server. It gets through the install of patches then hangs with 20% of the overall install done and 0% of the software install done. It seems to be running /tmp/SolarisNativeToolkit_3.0.2_1 and is hanging. I have made multiple attempts and it hangs in the same spot every time.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

john

I think its a known issue..
Bug ID: 6513427 Zone upgrade with CDs will hang at 4th CD

Thanks for the reply but while the symptoms appear similar that bug seems to deal with upgrading a zone while I am just trying to install the Sun C compiler (Sun Studio) on a Solaris 8 server (no zones involved). I found a couple other references to /tmp/SolarisNativeTookit_3.0.2_1 having to do with installing other applications/packages.

My install seems to hang whether I use the -nodisplay option or not.

Any other ideas?

Thanks again,

John

sorry boss.. I overlooked.
In this case, you should grep for the process id and do a ptree.
A "pstack" and a "pfiles" on the last shell process will reveal which
process is waiting for input on the /dev/console device.
A workaround is to kill the stuck shell process, from a terminal
windows.

I'm having a similar issue, but what I'm seeing is a Java Exception (java.lang.ClassDefNotFoundError) when looking for com/sun/install/panels/ComponentSelectionListener.

I am trying to install on a Sun Blade 150 with Solaris 8 and Java 6.

Did you ever find a solution?

Sorry, I really don't remember that long ago. I think I ended up just installing an older version of Sun Studio because having the latest version didn't really matter to my developers.

I ended up just installing all of the packages manually using pkgadd and it seems to be working okay for now. I also had to install an older version of the JDK (1.4.2_06) even though I have 1.6 already loaded :eek:. That one doesn't make any sense :confused:.

Thanks for the reply, though.