Sun Solaris Sun Java Desktop

Ok I a n00b, not gunna hide it so here goes -

Sun Solaris, V.10 i386 - during the setup, I can choose a screen resolution that looks great with 65k colors and all. However, when all is said and done 4 disks and a reboot later, I get hanious 640x480 @ 256 only.

If I choose the Sun Java Desktop System, I get at least 65k but again only at 640x480. If I go into display, I can't choose a different size or refresh rate.. it seems to be the only choice.

I love that desktop, seems to be better than even most other Linux desktops out there, but I have to get the screen fixed if Im going to keep it.

PLease Please, I need need extreme n00b answers on how to adjust this. I've already tried messing around (probably incorrectly) with the xorgconfig, but it didn't even launch (did know how?).

Thanks

SPooky :cool:

have you tried xorgcfg? Give that a try and tell me how you go.

Other than that would it be possible for you to post hardware specs here?

Well:
1) - it doesn't exist in the /usr/X11/bin folder and
2) "xorgconfig" doesn't do anything. Maybe Im not really sure how to launch it in XTERM or something else. Double-click doesn't seem to do anything.

More help plz.......

Would you be able to give me a bit more info about your graphics chipset, monitor etc?

Ok, like I said, I was able to set it perfectly in "Setup" of Solaris. Only after the final reboot it seems to have lost all of its settings. Telling you my mobo/video card isn't going to help. Don't reply if you don't know. I'll await that expert.

Seriously i feel like ive wasted my time with you. If you want something that works "out of the box" go and buy one of those shiny new macs. if you want to learn i suggest you change your attitude. I've actually had the same problem with Solaris 10 and you do need to identify your graphics chip to configure xorg.conf

good luck

Not to boil your noodle but its in VMWARE GSX running on Windows Server 2003. So like I said, my mobo and video card arn't the issue. Please don't reply unless you consider yourself a "guru". :slight_smile:

Spooky,

Please don't insult the board members. It makes the "gurus" not want to help. Of course your graphics card make/model is important for us to know.

Ok I wasn't trying to be rude at all.. Where do people come up with this stuff?
I was saying it shouldn't matter because it's in VMWare and that resolution was perfect in Setup. So now Im trying to figure out how and where, to look and do to fix it and need suggestions. Didn't mean to come off rude.

Version - Sun Solaris V.10 i386 (VMWARE GSX server running on Win03 Server, able to select VMWare as the display driver during setup).
Board and cpu are both Intel. Using Intel mobo's video card (even shows up as "Standard VGA card" on 03 Server).

Hope this helps....

The Rules As far as I'm concerned, rules 1 and 2 apply to your posts, Spooky.

Without information from you, the people here can't assist in finding a solution to your problem. If all you are going to do is insult the people, then you will have a long wait for your answer as I don't know of anyone that likes to be insulted while trying to help. Suggest you call SUN and pay them for support.
Closing the thread. (Update: Okay, since you replied with the info and some thing of an apology, I'll leave this open)

Version V.10 - i.386 runs on Intel cpu/mobo (mobo video).
Runs in VMWARE.
In setup I was able to set the resolution great, worked perfect. After the final cd and reboot, it seemed to have lost all the video selection and now displays at 640x480 x256.
In the Sun Java Console, it's showing 65k but still at 640. I cannot seem to change this - it has no other window choices in the display settings.

What can I do or where do I need to look for a solution to this? The other Xservers all show up at 640@256 now to for some reason. I was all working so well in setup!! Arrghh...

Please help - thanks :confused:

Spooky - I already posted the link to the rules so putting the same question in a different forum is, as you know, not allowed by the rules. If you continue breaking the rules, you may be set to read-only. Please re-read the rules.

I merged your two different threads together.

Yes but since it applies to Sun Solaris.. I figure I would post there too. Wow calm down moderators.. geez...

Despite the fact that I am loathe to respond, given your attitue towards other when they have done likewise. I suggest you look at the release information.

There in plain english in the know issues or errors, I can't remember which, is the information you are looking for.

PS a quick tip...when someone tells to execute something it means type in the command at a shell prompt.

The job of the moderators is to ensure that the rules are adhered to and thus protect the integrity of their board, RTM pointed out to how you had breached these rules, and yet you repeated the breach. In most forums insulting the moderators in this way is a quick ticket to the door.

Trauma Trauma Trauma...

Anyway..... I've figured it out on my own... it's a shame moderators and some folks wanted to just "push" and complain. Maybe I would have posted the solution for some future reference. Owell.

I guess Im not such a n00b afterall.

BYE ALL.

no loss, I think we have enough talent in this forum without your help.

Well here is the soution from vmwares website for everyone elses benefit. For future reference, please dont assume that we know how you are running a system. Your right, the graphics card isnt important if you are using vmware. The problem is we don't know if you are using vmware unless you tell us.

:eek: :eek:

How do people like this make it through life? I'm surprised he can even use windows.

Chek seemed to have some experience with the problem. How is Chek supposed to know whether he can anwer if he can't ask questions? Tip from the hypothical poster: the problem description should tip you off that you know or do not know how to answer a question. Therefore, no question is vague and only those who can decipher the text are permitted to answer (you know who you are). Original post did not include VMWARE but Chek should have known better to ask what the chipset.

Really, this hypothical poster should have been exempt to the rules. Maybe he can be excluded from rule 14, which prohibit smoking in the forum.

Rats! I personally felt that nobody should have offended this hypothical poster for this very reason.

Hypothical Poster was rude? Maybe everyone is just too sensitive. Let's reflect a bit: a minimum of 4 people considered this hypothical poster rude...you don't usually see multiple "complaints" about concerning one person's responses to inquiries and suggestions...hmmm, I wonder...probably everybody but Hypothical Poster is too sensitive.

Sorry if I violated 1/6th of rule #1 once or twice. I can't really tell when I'm be sarcastic. :smiley: