sun mirror

I have a solaris 9 machine which I would like to mirror it system disk using disk suite but my sun solaris machine has one internal disk which has the OS installed on. I have spare external disk of the same size, is it possible to mirror and internal disk with external disk using disk suite?

will they be a great deal of performance lost due to the mirror disk being an external disk? the machine is an sparc utlra 60

That should be no problem !
The only problem is that to use disksuite you will need one free slice one each disk and around 200MB allocated to it. Disksuite uses this slice for its metadata.

There will be a little preformance impact on writes. Reads will go faster since it can read from both disks.

/Peter

thanks for reply

I have no free slice on the internal disk. is they a work around this?
i have only one internal disk which has the Os installed and metadb needs to the spread across as many disk as possible, at least two disk.

How can i solve this problem?

Thanks in advance

There is no easy fix for this. You would have to free up a slice on the original disk. One way to do this may be to see what partitions you could get rid of (combine / and /usr comes to mind). This would involve backing up the partitions, reformatting, restoring the data. Then you could 'steal' 200mb from swap for Disksuite.

See State Database Replica - freeing up space

See also info at docs.sun.com