Sun Fire won't boot anymore

Hi all - I have an issue with our (way old) single processor SunFire 280R, running Solaris 9.0.4.

It won't boot even after multiple power cycles. There was a power outage last week end in the computer room, so this might have to do.

In normal boot mode, the screen shows a single line :

CPU seeprom format: 0000.0000.0000.0002 2
(the trailing 2 is actually a "power of 2" but I know the symbol doesn't show properly in some browsers....)

and gets stuck here. No error message, nothing.

I tried booting in maintenance mode, the full sequence looks allright, but it stops after these lines. Again no error message or alarms...

CPU 0 set ambient power off temperature to 70 degrees C
CPU 0 set junction power off temperature to 110 degrees C

Anybody has an idea ?

Thanks a lot.

Is there any amber LED lit on the system? Did you feel (physically)that the power supply/fan is working? Could be the cpu/mb overheated due to high temp. Im sure either this or the CPU/heatsink might need replacement.

Try halting it to ok> prompt if you can. set the auto-boot to false. boot using cdrom rom to single user and check

Try removing and reseating all your memory cards.

If customer has a valid contract with Sun, they should ask them to be down to open up the system to troubleshoot the FRUs. If customer open the system by themselves, the support could go void.

Thanks to both of you for these tips.

Unfortunately, there is no maintenance contract anymore for this old box, and no spare parts either.

No error LED flashes on the front panel. How exactly do I reset the memory dimms, by unplugging them and putting them back on ? Also, any idea how I halt the process to get to the "ok>" prompt, I don't have a Solaris-custom keyboard but a regular 102 key PS2 one.

It seems to me from the BIOS initial tests that all CPU/MEM validation steps ran correctly (not sure from my text tty how to capture the boot sequence, sorry) though, but I'm ready to try anything.

Thanks again.

use anti-static mat and wrist before you open up the H/W.
check wher you find the memory module, use the small release-catch to release the memory and re-seat them in again into the slots

to halt the system to ok> prompt, use the Stop+A keys on the SUN keyboard