SUN E250 Console connectivity

Hi,

I have cisco console cable. One end of the cable is DB9 connector and the other end is RJ45 connector. I would like to use this cable to connect to my SUN E250 system from my pc so that I can access the SUn console directly.

I would like to know whether it is possible and also on which interface or port I should connect on the SUN Server.

I beleive the DB9 should be connected to serial1 of my pc and the other end in the SUN box. I don't know on which port/interface.

Regards,
Raja

you just need a db9 to db25 cross cable.
put the db9 into your pc and the db25 to the e250 serial_A.
settings: 9600/8/N/1

lg P

You should connect to port A (ttyA). You would need a 25 ping connector. Serial port A and B are on the rear of the system - port A is the one on the left as you are looking at the rear of the system (closest to the fans).

just wanted to know whether this db9 to db25 cross cable is also called as null modem cable?

Regards,
Raja

yes

If your 250 doesn't have a monitor, or you want to permanently use a serial console:

1. press stop-a during boot
  2. type "ttya io"
  3. this will push all input/output through ttya serial port, until you reboot.

If you want to permanently use ttya for i/o:

1. from ok prompt type "setenv input-device ttya", and "setenv output-device ttya"
  2. Bewaare that this will disable your keyboard.
  3. These variables can also be modified at run level 3 using the eeprom command

You can setup a Sun workstation as a dumb terminal using the "tip" command.