SUN Custer Theory

Hi,

Newbie to the cluster, Would like to some basic idea on the cluster framework.:confused:

Any pointer to a link which is useful.:stuck_out_tongue:

How to explain on cluster's disk? :frowning:

Scenario, node1, node2, Storage1 and Storage2.

1. If storage1 attached to node1, and node1 fault; node1 failed to node2; does storage1 failed to storage2?

2. If storage1 attached to node1, and storage1 failed; does storage1 failed to storage2?

3. How we view the rules of failed over.?

Please help!!! Thank you so much in advance.

thanks
Dunstan:confused:

the documentation is here:
Solaris Cluster 3.2 - Sun Microsystems

and here are some nice basics:
BigAdmin Feature Article: Installing and Configuring Sun Cluster 3.1 09/04 Software for High-Availability Applications

Thanks DukeNuke2,

How storage in general is seen within the cluster? This is the portion that i still unclear.

Did it seen as one logical disk; regardless on the 2 Physical (storage1 and storage2)?

Thank you. Dunstan

this depends on the storage and how it is configured. there isn't a single answer for that. if you don't know storage basics in solaris, sun cluster might be a little ahead for you...

simka, you assumptions are wrong. Both nodes in a cluster see the same (hopefully redundant) filesystem so there is no "storage1 fail" situation. The nodes can fail but the storage isn't supposed to suffer failures.

this is not (always) true. this depends also on the configuration and the used HA service. but in the most common configurations you are right.

I never saw such a configuration but you are correct. In these uncommon cases where storage isn't shared, I would assume there is no persistence requirements. That would also imply a local storage failure trigger a node switch just like anything else that fails the clustered service.

often a geocluster is a good example for a local only storage...

I understand geocluster to require data replication using one of AVS, TrueCopy or RDF.

Thanks guys, I do have some knowledge on the AIX's LVM work. Eventually, did the solaris behave in such so.

When there are 2 storages (Storage1 and Storage2). On cluster point of view, only LV can be seem; these regardless on which Pyshical Storage (Storage1 and storage2) having issue. Is that concept correct?

------------------ -----------------
| Node1(PRI) | |Node2(SEC) |
------------------ ----------------
/ /
v v
--------------------
|Logical Volume| <----- Cluster concern
-------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------ -----------------
| storage1 | mirror |Storage2 | <---- Correct?
------------------ ----------------

In your drawing (please add code tags for it to be readable), there is a single mirrored storage.