Suggestions for new T5140

I've been busy and fell behind on Sun/Oracle. Forgive me if too basic. I welcome brief, cryptic, or advanced replies. I also welcome noobie information since I may have no clue what's up at the moment.

Problem statement:
I inherited a computer to set up. I would rather not figure out 8 months from now that any old dope knows you need to set XYZ before you do PDQ.

Requirements:
Migrate usage from a handful old Solaris 9-10 hosts. Some number of developer monkeys will access and abuse. Ability to remotely manage via serial/tcp device.

Current situation:
Exxx, V1280, V240, V440, V890, E450, compilers, MQ, Websphere, Oracle 10/11, homegrown C, C++, Java, ??

Equipment:
T5140. 64GB, 96core, 4x300GB. Powered up w/ serial console access. Raw (no O/S). 6 network ports, access to 2 dedicated iscsi switches with TB+ storage.

My (naive?) thoughts:
Reserve the main host for management. Use LDOM/Oracle VM to virtualize/upgrade the existing workload. iSCSI for VM storage, preferably multipathed. Centralize workload to use less (VMs).

Unsure about sol 10/11, ZFS, the unknown

Solaris 11 isn't baked. It's more or less OpenSolaris...

So.. if you want EASY to deploy Sol 8/9/10 zones (for example), your ONLY supportable solution is Solaris 10. AFAIK, the ability to host different OS level zones in Solaris 11 Express isn't quite there yet (doable, but sometimes with issues).

So.. Solaris 10 + monkey zones = solution.. I don't think there will be any problem doing what you are wanting to do.

LDOMs.. well.. that's a bigger question. Useful if you truly need partitioning vs. the flexibility of just doing zones. Modern LDOM (beware of dependencies to implement it) have better resource mgmt so that resources can be borrowed from other LDOMs... but IMHO, Oracle has made a mess of it all... so I stick with zones for now.

1 Like