Suggestion needed

Hi,

I have 4gl file basically for report generation. I need to convert it to some other language (perl/shell preferred).
Is it possible to write a parser that converts the original file to a script?
I hope it can be done. But which method to adopt is my confusion. Is it advisable to use Lex & yacc or rewrite each 4gl file to a corresponding script ?
Or is their any other method to adopt?
Please help ..

Regards
JS

Consider lex if you have several files to convert. Otherwise the time consumed writing a converter will be greater than doing a manual conversion.

That is true ..I have more than 100 files to convert .. But i heard lex is an old technology and it may not be wise to adopt it. So is their a better way. For example writing a parser using perl script itself ?

Old does not mean bad nor not up to date. Look at Unix/Linux for example! :slight_smile:
From Wikipedia:

Old is Gold !!
The problem here is, am comfortable with Shell and Perl and i dont know anything about Lex & Yacc (doing R&D now :slight_smile: )...So if I can do using perl then it is much time saving. I found that learning Lex and yacc is not an easy job. And i dont have anyone to teach me the same. I have to do R&D myself.So the time consumption is going too be too much.I have got other works also due to which i cant spend my whole day for this.

Sorry no Idea :smiley: :smiley: