Suggest books for understanding Ubuntu Linux

recommend books to understand ubuntu ......

Tall order, as the gui seems to be always changing, and comes in many flavors.

Learning command line LINUX/UNIX is more approachable.

Google online for free tutorials. The Internet is rich!

For Ubuntu Server Edition, the Apress series of books by Sander van Vugt are pretty good, I'm not sure if they have been updated for 12.04 LTS, but the previous versions are very good and probably a bit cheaper now that they are for older versions. Much of the info is still relevant though...

I know only two books of ubuntu Linux :

1. " Ubuntu Unleashed " by Andrew Hudson Paul Hudson
  2. " Moving to Ubuntu Linux " By Marcel Gagne

I hope these two books is helpful for you .............

thanks very much,
Do you have the links to download these two books?

regards,

They're books.

They're not free.

Unlike classical life, here it is cheaper to run it than to read about it in a book, never mind the phelora of tutorials online, free documents from vendors. Compare it to riding a horse or driving a car, where the book is cheaper. However, learning by doing is more vivid than reading, real horse sweat, wind in your hair, and error messages when you forget a keystroke. :smiley:

There is a free kindle library and free kindle readers, so free books are not completely foreign any more. Are there other free libraries? free kindle library linux - Google Search

Corona688 / DGPickett, thanks for your assistance.
It is true that a one should expertise things practically rather than just reading about them. But sometimes we have to get the initial supports to just know the first steps in order to start walking and running alone later on; thanks DGPickett for your useful advice.

regards,

Hi,

You are looking only for hardcover books? not ebooks??

I find this one is very interesting...
Please google for "Ubuntu Server Guide"
it will give official Ubuntu Server Guide.

(PS - as i am a new member, i cannot post a URL. i will reply the URL later.. .thanks..)

Regards,
Sekar

Hi Sekar,
thanks very much for your helpful advise.
I'm now searching for the suggested guide e-book.
regards,

I find it helps to have a project to get me to learn! When you are lucky, an employer rewards you for completing the project! Not much use for SQL around the house (but now I am moving my personal finances to GnuCash with MySQL :-).

DGPickett,
I agree; we should learn practically which is more important than reading theoretically.... but who would accept a newbie employee??? they're too rare I think...

regards,

I am big on a Proof of Concept (POC) demonstration of alternative technologies, so I can get into technologies not in my original job description. Then, I have processional experience when I leave. Not a web developer? Put up some useful web services to help yourself and the group. Not a C/JAVA/PERL guy? Write some useful tools, reports, in your new language and share them around. Developers can get what they need free in the world of open source, or write a new whatever from scratch. It might be better than the original. I wrote uniq and comm in C before I discovered their names. My last uniq was better, a sort-free home-brew binary tree tool that also does aggregates:

$ aggsx --help

Usage: aggsx [ -b ] [ -l ] [ -p <prefix> ] [ -u ] [ -d ] [ -h ]

Computes the count distinct, count null, min, count of min, max,
count of max, average (mean) of not null values if numeric,
median of not null values, largest of the most popular values,
count of that most popular value.
If -l is present, first prints out all values in order and their counts,
null last, but no aggregates.
If -b is present, prints out like -l and then prints aggregates.
If -p is present, the aggregate is prefixed with '<prefix>|'.
If -u is present, just immediately prints out unique values.
If -d is present, just immediately prints out duplicated values.
If -h is present, prefixes values line with header line:
CtD|CtN|Min|CtMin|Max|CtMax|Avg|Med|MPop|CtMPop

$

I should add an argument to set the null string, currently hardwired for Interbase/firebird '<null>'. Group By in Unix

You can get certified in the various LINUX/UNIX/Language skills, and get hired with them as 'nice to have', an edge on the competition, in a less skill-intense area than development.

1 Like

Thanks DGPickett for all your efforts,
I appreciate Vmuch the helpful info provided

regards,

well, the best idea i would suggest is -

1. start by some very simple books. google for some newbie guides, L/Unix for dummies, basics of unix/linux, teach yourself unix in 24 hrs, 24 days, months etc..(it should be years, actually.. remember Peter Norvig's "Teach Yourself Programming in Ten Years" ?!?!)
  2. then slowly move to shell scripting (the same way - newbie guides, etc)
  3. while doing this two steps, you will automatically find yourself the books you are looking for.