Sudo installation failure

Dear Guru,

I want to install sudo in my HPUX 11.11 and i also already downloading the software from website sudo, and already install the depot using swinstall -c .... , after finish still can not find sudo . something wrong with my installation ? thank you

# ls
gettext-0.18.3.1-hppa-11.11.depot  sudo-ldap-1.8.8.hppa.depot.g
libiconv-1.14-hppa-11.11.depot     zlib-1.2.8-hppa-11.11.depot
sudo-1.8.8-hppa-11.11.depot
# which sudo
no sudo in /usr/sbin /usr/bin /usr/ccs/bin /usr/contrib/bin /opt/hparray/bin /op
t/nettladm/bin /opt/upgrade/bin /opt/fcms/bin /usr/bin/X11 /usr/contrib/bin/X11
/opt/pd/bin /opt/wbem/bin /opt/wbem/sbin /opt/resmon/bin /opt/firefox /opt/gnome
/bin /opt/mozilla /opt/graphics/common/bin /opt/hpsmh/bin /opt/perl_32/bin /opt/
perl_64/bin /usr/sbin/diag/contrib /opt/sfm/bin /opt/ssh/bin /opt/thunderbird /o
pt/gwlm/bin /opt/ignite/bin /opt/perf/bin /sbin /home/root
#

Start by giving the ouput of

swlist -l product |grep sudo

Was it an HP depot from a HP archive center?

-
add
You should normally find it in /usr/local/bin - AND - /usr/local/bin is not inculded by default in the PATH on HP-UX, mostly fo security reasons so it is no reason to add it as standard to all... I use aliases... or add the PATH on command line when I need it...

hi vbe,

this the output :

# swlist -l product | grep sudo
  sudo                  1.8.8          sudo

in /usr/local/bin i can see sudo and sudoedit but still can not do visudo or manual sudo.

# man sudo
No manual entry for sudo.
# visudo
sh: visudo:  not found.

Check your $PATH if it includes /usr/local/bin echo $PATH , or invoke the commands with full path like /usr/local/bin/sudo <your stuff>

Hi,

this is the output, whats wrong with my insttalation ?

# echo $PATH
/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/ccs/bin:/usr/contrib/bin:/opt/hparray/bin:/opt/nettladm/
bin:/opt/upgrade/bin:/opt/fcms/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/contrib/bin/X11:/opt/pd/bin
:/opt/wbem/bin:/opt/wbem/sbin:/opt/resmon/bin:/opt/firefox:/opt/gnome/bin:/opt/m
ozilla:/opt/graphics/common/bin:/opt/hpsmh/bin:/opt/perl_32/bin:/opt/perl_64/bin
:/usr/sbin/diag/contrib:/opt/sfm/bin:/opt/ssh/bin:/opt/thunderbird:/opt/gwlm/bin
:/opt/ignite/bin:/opt/perf/bin:/sbin:/home/root
# echo $/usr/local/bin/sudo
$/usr/local/bin/sudo
#

Nothing is wrong. You simply don't have /usr/local/bin in your path. I don't either, on any of my servers. This is the default. To run an executable from a location not in your path, you have to specify the full path to that executable.

For example, instead of running 'sudo' or 'visudo' you need to run '/usr/local/bin/sudo' or '/usr/local/bin/visudo'

Alternatively, you can update your path variable and add the /usr/local/bin location to it.

You had it all explained in my first post ( #2 ..)...