LOGDATE=`date '+%Y-%m-%d %k:%M' | cut -c1-15`

echo $LOGDATE
echo "grep '$LOGDATE' /tmp/logs/vel.log >10min_log"
grep '$LOGDATE' /tmp/logs/vel.log>10min_log
grep '$LOGDATE' /tmp/logs/vel.log

Here is the output of the script

-rw-r--r--   1 wluser    wluser          0 May  3 17:35 10min_log

You see 0 bytes.

But when i type this manually grep '2016-05-03 17:3' /tmp/logs/vel.log i see 1000s of lines like below.

Like you can see when i manually type the grep command i see 1000s of line but when the same command goes in the script the redirected output to 10min_log shows 0 bytes and no data.

Why ?
Note: when i change grep '$LOGDATE' /tmp/logs/vel.log>10min_log to grep $LOGDATE /tmp/logs/vel.log>10min_log i.e remove the single quotes'' then it works. But i want to grep 2016-05-03 17:3 as one text hence i need the single quotes or if there is another solution ??
Note: I was able to overcome the issue by using double quotes ""
Note: i m with the same user and grp as the directory i.e there is no permission issues.

Please suggest.

Hello mohtashims,

Could you please change ' to " as follows and let me know how it goes then.

grep "$LOGDATE" /tmp/logs/vel.log>10min_log
grep "$LOGDATE" /tmp/logs/vel.log

Thanks,
R. Singh

Like i said that works but why not single quotes ?

Because shell variables are not expanded inside single-quoted strings. (And, note that in your echo statement:

echo "grep '$LOGDATE' /tmp/logs/vel.log >10min_log"

single-quote characters are not special inside a double-quoted string; so in that case $LOGDATE is expanded because it is in a double-quoted string; not inside a single-quoted string.)

Don the problem i m reporting is this line ->

grep '$LOGDATE' /tmp/logs/vel.log>10min_log

and it does not have double quotes.

Also, like i said when i manually copy paste this it gives me the output. It fails only when executed from inside the script !!

man bash :

The last paragraph shows that ' will be preserved literally and NOT used for quoting.

Now, does Don Cragun's post#4 become clearer?

Difficult to believe. Please execute the exactly identical command from the command line and from within a script, and compare the results.

Sorry. I just do not believe you.

If I run the following commands sequentially in an interactive shell that uses Bourne shell syntax:

$ XYZ=abc
$ echo "$XYZ"
abc
$ echo '$XYZ'
$XYZ
$ echo "XYZ is set to '$XYZ'"
XYZ is set to 'abc'
$ 

I get the output shown in bold text from those commands. And, if I put the commands in a script:

XYZ=abc
echo "$XYZ"
echo '$XYZ'
echo "XYZ is set to '$XYZ'"

and execute it, I get the output:

abc
$XYZ
XYZ is set to 'abc'

If you use a shell that uses csh syntax instead of Bourne shell syntax, you still get the same results if you change the 1st command from:

XYZ=abc

to:

set XYZ=abc

The only way that the command:

grep '$XYZ' file

and the command:

grep "$XYZ" file

produce the same, non-empty output is if the variable XYZ has been set with something like:

XYZ='$XYZ'

(assuming Bourne shell syntax) or:

set XYZ='$XYZ'

(assuming csh shell syntax) and the file named file contains the literal string $XYZ unless you have a function named grep , an alias for grep , or a non-standard version of the grep utility that is found in your PATH environment variable before the standard version of the grep utility.

1 Like

That helped ... The issue is resolved but i will dwell more into this in the future. Thanks Again.