Strange ls results..

Multipart question..

Can anybody explain why this happens :

-rw-rw-r-- 1 fnsw fnusr 1531061 Feb 13 21:45 filename1.log
-rw-rw-r-- 1 fnsw fnusr 1760706 Feb 10 22:10 filename2.log
-rw-rw-r-- 1 fnsw fnusr 1525805 Aug 16 2005 filename3.log
-rw-rw-r-- 1 fnsw fnusr 1620115 Aug 15 2005 filename4.log

No matter what I do, I can't seem to get an output that shows the date and time, anything over a year drops the time and puts the year there instead.

So how can I get a directory listing that shows both full date (Or even better short date ie. dd/mm/yyyy) and time (hh:mm). The result would look something like this :

-rw-rw-r-- 1 fnsw fnusr 1531061 02/13/2005 21:45 filename1.log

The main purpose of this, is I want to export the results to excel to run some reports.

Any help would be great, I have been struggling with this for a while.

Darren

i THINK this is the normal behavior on most UNIXs. again, i THINK. i've been an AIX user for the last several years and i'm kind of used to this kind of output. it sucks. never really looked into the 'ls' command that much. i guess we tend to take it for granted.

i guess you MAY be able to manipulate the output of the istat command against the files that have been modified more than a year ago. *shrugs* i hate to say it but you may be left to hack on this one. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the reply, I have a feeling you may be right and it was my fear I would have to hack something together.

I will give it a day and see if anyone has any suggestions before I start asking for scripting help.

Thanks again,

Darren

ScatterBrain is correct, this is standard behavior with all UNIXes.

You can either write a script to create your desired output (although i suppose it is not possible with only shell commands; you might have to write a small C program to read the inode directly) or maybe rethink your initial problem: If you want to divide the files into two groups separated by a certain date you could consider creating a file with this separating date (see "man touch") and using "find ... -newer ..." to select all the newer ones. You may also consider "find ... -atime/-ctime/-mtime ..." to suit your needs.

bakunin