strange issue with ALOM in t51...

Hi ,

running solaris 10 on t5120 and i see ILOM and ALOM (SC) interfaces working fine earlier and suddenly they are responding strangely,

First thing , I can connect fine to ILOM or ALOM but then console -f just hangs..

resetsc error :

I do not really want to poweroff and poweron this system at this moment,

is there any solution or is this a known issue?

showenvironment command hung aswell. the user has rights of everything in ALOM.

Any ideas , if needed I can try more commands...

if there is no solution other than rebooting or power cycle? then how can I do it safely ? I can access server using ssh and physcially if needed.

Thanks

login to the ilom as root user and do a "reset /SP". if this doesn't work login as sunservice with the same pass as root and try a "reboot".

Thanks, getting same error with reset /SP command

Oh and I did not know there is such an account called sunservice, it worked well with root password...:slight_smile:

will this reboot command reboot the system just like reboot command from system console ? or is there any way to gracefully shutdown the system from sunservice account ?

EDIT
BTW it help with this command does not show 'reboot' command ?

Thanks much

reboot will only reboot the SP. there isn't "ping" in the list also and ping works from sunservice account. if reboot won't work, try the "init" command...

whats the current firmware level of the system?

he allready told us in his first post... ilom 2.0.4.19 is firmware 7.0.9.c. it's a rather old version...

Hey Dukenuke2

Thanks for clarifying on this. you could be right because what I did later was log in as sunservice account and then cd / and then cd /sbin if I remember correctly and I found reboot command there :slight_smile: so did I find a lot of other commands in /bin..

It is like a mini OS, never really knew something like this exists. hope it is safe to run commands from sunservice account, they scared me with such a big warning..

Also is the firmware old ?

Thanks much guys

yes it is :wink:

Why not you upgrade the firmware to the latest level?

i wouldn't do that on a "hangin" sp... after the sp is up again i also would consider an upgrade to the latest fw level. but you have to schedule a downtime for a reboot to "activate" the new obp!

Hello guys,

I had a scheduled downtime yesterdy night, when I also took out the power cables out and powered on chassis again, then ALOM/ILOM is giving me proper results on this system..i.e. console -f gives me the OS console now.

Btw, I am a little confused on the procedures followed for updating this firmware..looks like there are 2-3 different procedures one can follow, I wonder which one is easier ..also on the sunsolve.sun site I see 3 patches for t5120
127580 - 7.0.x System Firmware
136932 - 7.1.x System Firmware
139439 - 7.2.x System Firmware

I wonder if installing correct patch will give me latest firmware...

as far a dates for these patches, they too are confusing 7.2 came out in Dec,08 and 7.1.x came out in feb 2009 :confused:

Will you guys be able to tell me exact upgrade procedure and exact place to download the software..

Thanks again and good day.

if you don't need latest ldom functionality you can stay with 7.1.x otherwise you should give 7.2 a try. fw upgrade is realy easy. use the web gui...

set up the netmgmt ip from the SP and then use the browser to go to the url. Update your firmware 7.2 from there first

Thank you Incredible and Dukenuke2 for your valuable input. I very much want to upgrade to latest firmware or 7.2 atleast on test machine first.

I am already using network management port to access alom.

I use RSA token to connect to a host and from that host I ssh admin@<IP of net mgmt port> ..Is this the IP I will have to use in browser ? if Yes, then I think my chances of accessing this IP from personal machine are very very low and I wonder if RSA authentication host has a browser...

but I can open up the browser on the solaris host itself and just wondering if there is a special port I can use to access the alom web interface... but again IP of solaris and IP of net mgmt port are in different subnets..

looks like web method will not work for me..

I will look up in the documentation and see what other better methods I can use..

I will appreciate any inputs from you.