Strange behaviour on Openserver 5.0.2 after 09/2015

Dear friends,
i am having some Problems with a Sco Openserver in a Box (normally on VMWare, importing it on a Virtualbox does the same).

When i boot up the system on xx/09/2015 i got fork failed - too many processes during startup.
The programs which should run on the server, do not run.
I can login, but i got no shell, instead i got: cannot fork to run /usr/bin/mapkey: Resource temporarily unavailable (error 11).

When i start the single user mode, then change the date to 08/2015, for example 31/08/2015, and then restart the server; it comes up like a charm, without any error.

If i change then the date of the system to the actual date the Server is working.

I have already tried a lot to make the server start the programs normally at boot time with the right date, but no luck:
disabling init scripts <P80
adding second swap space
adjusting Kernel Parameters (just doubling the values) on scoadmin -> kernel manager -> tune parameters -> users and group configuration

Does anybody know this kind of behaviour and has a hint for me?

thanks a lot

2 Likes

You cannot start the machine with a date earlier than the install date. The install date is entered MMDDYYYY, but your post uses DDMMYYYY. Did you possibly set up the system with the wrong date?

1 Like

in Germany we write the date like this: DD.MM.YYYY
When i start the machine with a day in Aug 2015, it works
when i start it with the actual date 8th Sep 2015 i got the described errors.

the installation date is somewhere in 1998. that should not be the problem.
i also checked the license of the sco server. it should run through Jan 2038

Try starting the machine with an August date, then as root change the date.

#date -t 20150908hhmm.ss; setclk -r

yes, that works. That is what i already did to keep the services on the machine working.

i have to set the date in the past before i shutdown and then regain it with setclk -r after boot. on the last init script for example.

this is a good workaround.

but it would be nice if there is a way to make the sco machine start properly with the right actual date

Should I infer from your first post that you have, or can create, a test installation.
If so, is any evidence of where the failure occurs left in either /usr/adm/messages, or in the /etc/rc2.d/messages directory?
Is there a possibility that some non SCO application has an end date?

yes, i have a test system. every week, the system is been shut down and backup-ed automatically. that is why the clean startup with the right date is necessary.

/usr/adm/messages contains only the spalsh screen from the startup, and the .log files in /etc/rc2.d/messages contain only the messages with fork failed - too many processes.

the non-sco software running on the server is loaded by S99, long after the first fork failed message apperars

---------- Post updated at 08:17 AM ---------- Previous update was at 07:44 AM ----------

by the way, on normal startup the first message appears after "Starting TCP services: snmpd routed"

You can do an inplace upgrade from 5.0.2 to 5.0.6 using your existing license. I have the media available for download. Trying this should eliminate any hardware/firmware issues.

1 Like

Same problem here!! But I cannot log in to the terminal either. Any idea?

that is in this case normal.
first you have to enter the single user mode.

On startup when the String "Boot" appears, press enter
The system will ask you after the splash screen for the root password.

then you can set the date and reboot
for example:
date -t 1508081210
init 6

after the system comes up again, you can login in the multi-user mode.
use date-t to reenter the right date

today our system showed a message:
The Licensing Policy Manager Daemon (ifor_pmd) has terminated and been restarted. ...

after that some applications does not work anymore. i had to restart the server with the date in the past.

then i tryed, in single user mode, to re-check the licence.
i startet scoadmin and went to the licence manager. With the actual date, i got an error, the licence manager does not start. after changing the date to the past it was possible to start the licence manager.

could this be a licence problem? any ideas?

Hi guys, I'd really appreciate your help. After the weekend our sco openserver release 5 is not working. I cant even log in to the terminal in multiuser mode.
First of all, I get the following error: /etc/getty tty03 sc_m (date here), PID XXX:
Cannot fork to run /tcb/lib/initcond: Resource temporarily unavailable (error 11)
At the login prompt i get:
login: root
LOGIN: could not fork user's shell: Resource temporarily unavailable (error 11)

This happens in every tty I open.
Please guys any idea?

can't you even enter the single user mode?

see my post above your last answer

@gallok, are you also using 5.0.2a.

@chipperEs,

You have left off the century. Is that a typo in your post, or is that how you enter the date?
You can use 'exit' in place of 'init 6', and the boot/startup routine returns to the 'enter root password or <ctrl>d' point of the normal start up.
There are no SCO operating systems prior to 5.0.6 with RS506a applied that are Y2K compliant.
It seems to me that there may be something along the lines of the following as a temporary measure.

if yy < 16
     yyyy=2000+yy
else
     yyyy=1900+yy
endif

Thus giving you 15 years to upgrade. Although why this expires in August and not Dec 31 is beyond me.

1 Like

Yes, I can but it didn't work to change the date. That error keeps on happening

---------- Post updated at 09:36 AM ---------- Previous update was at 09:32 AM ----------

This is the first time I use an sco ( i only had used linux so far) but I think is a 5.0 version.

@gallok, What is the output of 'uname -X'

date says that the century is optional.

date -t [[CC]YYMM....

that system was bought in 1998. Then in year 2000 the original manufacturer of the system (which now does not longer exists) has done something to make the system y2k compliant.

that was all long bevore my time. the system runned until 2009, then the hardware gived up and it was transformed into a vmware.

i tooked the work to my home, and then started it in an virtualbox. there it is running. On the virtualbox on the work the fork errors appeared.

working virtualbox (@home): version 4.2.2 r18
nonworking virtualbox (@work): 4.3.20 r96997
@work it should run on an vmware server 1.09, as it did since 2009

I think your system supplier made their application code y2k compliant.
Either way, I don't see any solution to your problem that does not involve upgrading the OS version.

1 Like

@jgt uname -x says not found but uname -r says 3.2
It's a SCO openserver enterprise 5.0.2c (swconfig command)

it is uname -X not uname -x. case is important.

the interesting part is that i do not see any applied patches when i look in scoadmin -> software manager -> software -> patch management -> view loaded patches i do not see any patchen (there are no patches loaded on the system)