Strange behaviour on Openserver 5.0.2 after 09/2015

Yes, I didn't notice. release3.2v5.0.2
Any idea how I can fix the serious problem i have?

See posts #4 and #5 in this thread.
The only permanent solution is to upgrade. SCO 5.0.6 is essentially free, as it can be installed using your existing serial number and activation key (with the exception of very early serial numbers issued by Compaq/HP.)
If you expect to continue using the application for the foreseeable future, then upgrading to 5.0.7, or 6.0.0 should be considered.
Both have SSH and relatively new versions of php, apache, bind etc. The major difference is that 5.0.7 uses the Unix System 5 release 3.2 kernel with the HTFS file system and 6.0.0 uses the System 5 release 4.0 kernel with vxfs.
You can do an update install of 5.0.7, but 6.0.0 requires a fresh install, and typically a couple of days effort.
One caveat. Software in 'custom' format that will install on 5.0.2 will not install on 5.0.5 and newer. You can, however, tar the software from the old system are restore it to the new system. Only the format of the custom package changed, not the ability of the system to run the software.

Hi Gallok,

is your Sco System running as a baremetal installation or within a vmware or virtualbox?

---------- Post updated at 03:49 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:34 PM ----------

@jgt: would you please share the 5.0.6 iso with me? :slight_smile:

Yes. Send me an email, and I will give you instructions. My email address is in my profile (see website).

1 Like

thanks a lot, i 'll write the email

@jgt: one more question:
does your openserver 5.0.6 start properly after 09/2015?
(i have not tested it yet, still have to download the media first)

I don't have any 5.0.6 systems. I can only assume that the problem is not in 5.0.6 by the lack of complaints.

I just loaded one and no issues.

I still support 2 systems that will need to be loaded but will download the patches first.

1 Like

Dear jgt,

i thank you for sharing the iso with me.
After some problems with the blc driver (which is needed for the VMWare-SCSI controller), I did an successfull update on the 5.0.2 system to 5.0.6 and it seems to work, even with the right date.

Tomorrow, i can test the users test the entire parts of the 3rd-party software which has to run on the Server.

One more question do i have.
Do i really need the rs506a?
After installing it, some parts of the Software which is installed on the server does not work anymore.

Bevor the installation of rs506a i taked a snapshot. Reverting to it, the software works again.

Check here SCO Knowledge Center
Enter 'rs506a' in the search field, 'Open Server 5' in the product field and 'release 5.0.6' in the sub-product field.
There are 68 results. You might find a solution there, or gain enough insight to know the risks of not installing the patch, and whether they affect you.

1 Like

dear jgt,
do you also have the resource cd for sco 5.0.6.
Some older daemons do not work properly after the upgrade to 5.0.6 (Samba and bootp-Daemon). I think i have to reinstall them
they start without an error, but then, they do not work. the samba shares, for example are not available.

if i try a telnet from outside the box to the port 139, the port seems to be available
but trying to reach a share i got only a timeout

The 'optional services' cd is on the same site as the OS cd.
5.0.6 shipped with visionfs rather than Samba.
If you use Samba, you can get the most recent copy from sco.com

1 Like

We also have still a few customers who are running SCO 5.0.2. Another company has patched somehow the systems in 1999 to make them 2000 compliant. Now we have the same problem described in the previous posts.

@jgt: could you please send me instructions on howto upgrade to 5.0.6?

@ChipperEs: how did you manage it to run 5.0.2 under VMWare? Which VMWare product do you use? Which Harddisk controller did you choose? IDE or SCSI? Could you provide the appropriate SCO bootstrings (defbootstr) for that? And the btld images for the IDE/SCSI drivers?

Thanks,
Rainer

@retz
see post 24 in this thread.

1 Like

Servus Rainer,

the sco box was virtualized into an vmware 1.0.9 server. this is an outdated product, like the sco server itself :smiley:

I used Acronis true image to get the data into the vmware, by backuping (take a image, without compression) from the baremetal installation and restoring it on a vmware hard disk.

Set up your virtual machine as other / other, 256 MB ram, 1 CPU, SCSI HDD, Floppy drive, network.
You have to choose a (Buslogic) SCSI controller.

I have to admit, i cannot remember every little step i did in 2009 to get the sco box work.

On vmware 1.0.9 i had to use the pnt lan driver. you can get it from sco ftp.
On newer vmware you can use an intel nic driver like described here: VMware Documentation for SCO OpenServer 5.0

As i remember, i had to boot from a disk with the right scsi controller driver (blc). This should do it for actual VmWare ESX Server too.

i think this link could help you:
SCO Unix 5.0.4 on VMware <- Aplawrence

you have to load the boot disk (i think the Buslogic (blc) disk is bootable, see Aplawrence mmunix.exe or my images below for download), after that, install the driver using btldinstall. you can take the right defbootstr from the applawrence link.

the blc driver i used is extracted from the mmunix.exe (link on applawrence), written by a windows 98 virtualbox on a virtual floppy disk (blc_treiber.img 1,4Mb) and reduced by a linux using dd to 720kb (blc_treiber_red.img) :smiley:

you need the reduced disk to mount it on the vmware (not on startup, just when you are using "mount" within the sco box). The full disk will not be recognized. that is because SCO somehow recognizes that this is a virtual floppy disk and so it accepts only 720 kb at run-time (not on startup)

here the links for the driver:
http://usb-culture.de/driver/blc_treiber.img
http://usb-culture.de/driver/blc\_treiber_red.img

1 Like

Thanks ChipperEs for the detailed instructions.
Some of the information you provided I had found by myself and I already have successfully converted some 5.0.5 and 5.0.6 systems to VMWare ESXi 5.1. I have used the following tool instead of Acronis:

(Sorry, I am not allowed to post URLs)
www dot feyrer dot de Slash g4u

to rawcopy the disks which works very good (although sometimes slow).
The problem which I currently have with a customers 5.0.2 machine is that booting it under ESXi 5.1 does not succeed. I get an
"Unexpected trap in kernel mode"
and PANIC: k_trap - Kernel mode trap type 0x0000000E
even when using your "red" blc driver disk. I already have tried copying the customers disk onto a VMWare IDE disk - same result. I really would like to virtualize the customers machine and would like to apply

(sorry, I am not allowed to post URLs)
ftp dot sco dot com Slash pub Slash openserver5 Slash oss601a

to see if that solves the error 11 problem.

The bootstring I provided to boot the SCO 5.0.2 raw disks was:
defbootstr hd=Sdsk link=blc btld=fd(64) Sdsk=blc(0,0,0,0)

It then asks for the floppy, loads the blc driver, restarts, initializes BTLD and then gets the Unexpected trap in kernel mode.

In the baremetal machine is located a specialix card and of course there is also an SX driver built into the kernel. It could be that this driver also could cause the Unexpected trap.

Take a snapshot, then try updating to 5.0.6

Boot the 507 boot disk like decribed in applawrence.
Then insert the full blc disk (1,4MB) when asked for the driver disk. After restart, when the first installation screen appears (light blue screen) change the floppy image to the reduced one.

Your kernel will be replaced during update.
506 should come up. If not, you can go back to your snapshot.

I already tried the oss601a on 502. It did not helped on my system.

Ok, I now have managed it to boot the 5.0.2 raw disk in ESXi. The solution was booting the unix.safe kernel. Now I can "play" with the machine knowing that I always can return to a snapshot. Thanks for your help, ChipperEs and jgt.

I managed to solve my problems in 506 :slight_smile:

Thanks for your help jgt

@Retz: it would be nice to know if the oss601a solves the problem on your 5.0.2 system

1 Like

@ChipperEs: No, oss601a did not solve the problem. I have upgraded my test clone virtual machine from 5.0.2 to 5.0.6 now.

1 Like