Steps toward Solaris Administration

Dear All,

I am currently working as Unix Operator. I am looking forward for Unix Solaris Administration.
I need everyone's guidance on this forum, please advice me from where should i start. well i have already installed Solaris version on X86.
So please let me know what should i do to become good Admin.
Hopefully GURU's & Masters here will help me.
Thanks in Advance :b:

Thanks,
Imran

@imrankhan.in

google.com is the best guru, he has every answers:), if you know the correct question....:smiley:

Start from google, of course members of this forum are always there...:slight_smile:

best of luck :b:

in these days there is so much to know... what kind of admin? i've done administration in the storage and san area for a while... so what do you want to do? the easiest thing to do with a single computer would be user administration. learn how to setup a new user/group and how to give/take rights to/from them. learn about quotas... rbac, acl, dns, nis, ldap... also ntp...

good luck!

Thanks Duke/rcmrullz :b:,

Yes i have already installed Solaris on X86, but i am confused like what kind of things i can do on it? but thanks Duke i will on below mentioned points by you.
Obviously i have started with Google, that is the way i have found you pals.
Anyways i have already applied for Solaris Admin Job but i am scared now as i don't know more then commands.
Please help me with some technical questions like a) if the system crash what is admin's prime duty.
It will help me a lot and definately my career will change. :wink:

Thanks
Imran

Hi,

Every good Solaris Admin should be aware of the following, notice I said aware and not be an expert... Because once you're aware you're half way there

How to check log files. (mem/CPU/Disk/Network)
Understand users/groups/shares/file permissions
How to get the server on the networked (Static/DHCP)
Basic understanding of inodes/Super blocks/fsck
UFS and ZFS file systems / Formatting / Partitioning / Mounting / quotas......
DNS/TCP-IP knowledge
Basic email systems knowledge
Basic Routing knowledge (e.g How traffic gets from one place to another on sub-nets)
Basic Knowledge Of Ports and Sessions/how firewalls work
Basic knowledge of how backups work ( Full/Incremental/Differential)
Different run level start up scripts and svcs/svcadm....
remote tools (ssh,telnet,rlogin,rsh,scp,rsync)

......... And after all that then you have to start learning the tools and applications that go on top...Well hope this helps and good luck.

I'm sure i've missed alot of stuff here, so if anyone had anything to add feel free.

System Administration Guide: Basic Administration - Sun Microsystems

I'd start by browsing through the manuals. You don't need to read line-by-line but get a good idea of what's available to you when you need it.

You might consider purchasing an Oreilly or two. Basic administration and TCPIP.

I'd browse these forums to get an idea of what other admins are dealing with.

Learn about the main applications running on your systems. tomcat jboss oracle.

Basically read all you can.

You should practice yourself in sparc, intel it's easy because it's pc. Most of the companies use sparc instead of intel.

If your not sure of what your doing or if you haven't done it before, test it first on your test server. Being a Unix SA is FATAL because if the server of the company is down, no revenue.

read everything. look at man pages, and sun docs, etc.

note that finding a sys admin position is tough. lots of competition and especially for someone who is just getting into the arena. take myself as an example. 25 years old with roughly 3 solid years of industry experience. not as an admin however, roughly 1 year experience as admin. now, try selling yourself to an employer who is looking for an admin with 6-8 years experience with SAN, veritas, clustering and tuning expert experience. its not fun for us starting our careers. employers are hell bent on having their cake and eating it to. you just have to be extremely familiar with the workings of solaris itself. unfortunately you won't be very familiar with some of the other skills. you just have to prove you are hungry to learn and eager to stay until 12am to make things happen. but the god honest reality of it is you must know everything about solaris. as an operator, you are atleast partly there. you must know some basic commands, how to run scripts and maybe even how to write them. always good stuff. talk with admins at your company. see what they are doing and how to get involved if you can. always be curious about what they are doing.

now the fun part:
if you actually get the interview, prepare to be attacked (yes, attacked) with questions that you've never heard of or seen. i've heard everything from how do you find the number of cpus in a system (easy) to write me a script in php that connects to a database (what the hell?!). again, everything from simple to what the hell kinda question is that on an interview?! a lot of people will disagree with me but this industry is all about flexing your knowledge to someone else. i see it everyday at my company. just realize people will throw you some crazy questions. be calm, be straight with them and answer what you know or a possible answer that might be in the ball park. at our stage in the game, we need to prove we are long term commitments willing to do what it takes to sell the product. :b:

ok my preaching is over... hahahah

@pupp
Thats quite informative...every word you said is true pupp...:slight_smile: Now am in the same position here...

also, we recently received several openings for positions at my company in my area. i over heard a few team leads talking about how one guy had tons of stuff on his resume and they asked him some simple questions regarding those skills. he knew nothing.

this may seem obvious but don't pump up your resume to get the job. they WILL ask you those questions you don't want to hear. you won't get the job and you will walk out of there looking like a jerk because of it.

so much fun!