Steps to download and install UNIX in windows7 32 bit.

Can anyone tell the steps to download and install unix OS in windows 7 32 bit. I want to install unix and practice commands there. Any version is ok

Search the net for

• unxutils
  • busybox
  • cygwin
    or use a virtual machine with any linux flavour of your choice...

I have installed cygwin. I choosed install from internet. Its not displaying any download sites or links.

---------- Post updated at 02:41 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:40 PM ----------

Can you tell from where i can download unix and then use that local copy to install it

You cannot download and install Unix in Windows. The reason for this is because Unix is an operating system - just like Windows. You can download and install a Unix-compatable environment for Windows. Cygwin is one of a number of such environments for Windows.

Little, are you behind a Proxy/Firewall if so pay close attention to the "Select Your Internet Connection" dialog during the cygwin install, the "Use Internet Explorer Proxy Settings" option has worked quite well for me in the past:

Note you can also use "Download Without Installing" on another computer (with internet access) and then copy these downloaded files to you target machine and use "Install from Local Directory" to install.