Static routes in SCO

Hi,

Just a question of  thought. Why  one needs to  add static  routes on Unix  servers ?  If I  had  ethernet  card, it  already  has  the  settings  for  gateway for  incoming and  outgoing  requests. We  donot  have to explicitly  set  the route it should   take. Then what is  the  use of  setting routes  on Unix server ?

regards,

J

Depending on what ip address (subnet) the machine is trying to communicate with, it will select a route. Setting up static routes enables different routes to different subnets.

Who told it's mandatory to add static routes on UNIX servers? If you have a router in place, just make an entry for default gateway (IP of the Router's interface connected to the server) on the UNIX server and that's it. Your router should be able to route the packets to and from the UNIX server. In case if you do not have a dedicated router and your network is small enough (why would anyone need multiple subnets in that case!!), you may enable static routes in your UNIX server.

1 Like

I agree with admin_xor and although it has been a few years since I was heavily involved in SCO, I remember being able to add multiple static routes; very handy with multiple network cards installed connecting to different subnets. I think SCO is a little different when compared to "standard unix" in this respect.

1 Like