start windows appl. from unix

Is it possible to start a windows applications such as mail merge in word from a unix machine (sco-unix, digital osf).

Why to do this ?

Most people known word to create nice documents, but we want to print this documents with our information (name, adresses etc..
like a mailing. This info is in our files and during our program we want to print this nice word documents.

To run Windows apps under *Nix require Wine (http://www.winehq.com/\). I haven't messed around with it myself but I have heard of some success stories.

Did you get this to work?
I am in a similar situation where user wants test file for merge into WORD from our database - I have been looking at sending them a text file from an Oracle Form and they can then launch WORD - but no luck yet.

We have a similar ability in one of our applications here.
It's custom code, and I don't know anything about it, but we have a button on an Oracle form that will grab (for example) the address of the current account in the form, send it to a helper application which in turn fires up Word and performs the merge. You simply have to click "Print".

So I know it's possible.
Sorry I can't help you much more...

Thanks LivinFree - I appreciate the comments
. . . . Someone has to have details.

Code Wavers, Windows Software on Mac, Linux, and ChromeOS with CrossOver | CodeWeavers has just released CrossOver Office 1.0.0. Check it out and let me know what you think.

Tinker

I suggest using WINE, from www.wine.org . I'ts about an 11MB d/l. good luck!

my email is ----

Pls don't post email addresses and read the forum rules

The correct url for wine is www.winehq.com.
Wine is free solution for running windows apps.
CrossOver office costs money but it makes it easier to get apps installed.
I use Cedega to play games in linux too.