Start Ubuntu without init

Is it possible to start Ubuntu (or any other modern UNIX OS) or get it to any usable state without the init software.

By this I mean replacing init with bash and manually initializing all the components.

So far i've managed to edit grub at start and get the bash shell but I don't know where to go from here!

Also can't find any topic on this! :frowning:

Thank you!

What do you mean by "init software"? The init program, run by the process with pid 1, is THE *nix system, assisted by all the drivers and system programs needed to get things done.
bash is only one amongst other possible command line interpreters forming the interface between users and the system.

Well, that is the assignment! - "replace

init

program with some other", I guess what you are saying it is not possible.

Do not post classroom or homework problems in the main forums. Homework and coursework questions can only be posted in this forum under special homework rules.

Please review the rules, which you agreed to when you registered, if you have not already done so.

More-than-likely, posting homework in the main forums has resulting in a forum infraction. If you did not post homework, please explain the company you work for and the nature of the problem you are working on.

If you did post homework in the main forums, please review the guidelines for posting homework and repost.

Thank You.

The UNIX and Linux Forums.