SSL certificate generation on OS level or application level

We have a RHEL 5.8 server at the production level and we have a Java application on this server. I know of the SSL certificate generation at the OS (RHEL) level but it is implemented on the Java application by our development team using the Java keytool. My doubt is that is the SSL generation can be done at the OS level or at the application level also?

I hope, my query is clear that can the SSL generation be done at the application level also in addition to the SSL generation at the OS level.

Please revert with the reply to my query

Regards

your request is not pretty clear, do you need tool for cert generation on os level? you can try openssl then.

Thanks for your answer. My basic query was that whether SSL generation can be done at the application level also in addition to the SSL generation at the OS level. openssl as you mentioned can do for OS level. But, can the same SSL functionality be achieved at the application level also like a Java application for example?

Some applications provide just a GUI to call "openssl" and create the certificate. It should work just fine whether generated using a command line tool or some other application or GUI.

Certificates must comply to a standard anyway so there should be no issues at all regardless of what application was used to create it.