sshd and AcceptEnv setting

Hello,
On Linux the /etc/ssh/sshd_config has the "AcceptEnv" parameter which allows to "push" environment setting to a ssh session. For example, when I set in sshd_conf

AcceptEnv BLAH

I can then ssh to the server using:

user@client~$ export BLAH=hello
user@client~$ ssh server -o SendEnv=BLA

H

and the result is

user@server~$ echo $BLAH
hello

My question is how can I do this on Solaris. The sshd_config does not accept this parameter.

I found out that on Solaris there is the "PermitUserEnvironment yes" setting which allows to export variables that are on the server in the ~/.ssh/environment file.

This does not solve my problem because I want the client to be able to set the env variable before the connection.

Thanks,

R.F.

3 mutually-exclusive suggestions

1. Switching from Sun's SSH to a truly current and regularly updated OpenSSH based on a set of packages provided by CSW packaging home or Blastwave.org - An OpenSolaris Community Site, I prefer the former. You can keep most, if not all, of the Sun SSH settings you have sshd_config & ssh_config, but now you have the option of newer features/settings to use and will likely have better compatibility and synchronicity with Linux-based SSH servers.
  2. Depending on what you are running on the remote server side, you can set an environment as part of your command sequence, based on your target shell
    ssh user@sshServer "setenv myVarName myVarValue; /usr/bin/tcsh"
  3. Write a script that creates an "export file" of variables you want imported on the remote shell, copy them with SCP to a standard location. Setup your environment shell file to source the copied export file if the $SSH_CONNECTION and $SSH_CLIENT variables are set in some fashion (as specific as you'd want to get). Then SSH as normal. Obviously this works a lot better if you are using public/private key authentication to avoid the double password prompt.

ok thanks