SSH woes

version of solaris: SunOS 5.8 Generic-117350-39 sun4u sparc SUNW,Netra-240

version of SSH: OpenSSH_4.4p1, OpenSSL 0.9.8d 28 Sep 2006
Task:

I need to have another Machine ssh into my machine, by either RSA authentication or username/pass authentication.

History:

In the begining my ssh_config had both statements for RSA authentication and Password Authenticaion commented out. I was unable to ssh from other unix boxes that I have.

I uncommented those statements and was successfull connecting via ssh from my other local machines **

** upon entering ssh (IP) i recieved the following response:

The authenticity of host (host ip (host ip again)) can't be established. RSA key fingerprint is (blah blah blah) are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)?

I enter yes, and am then prompted for password for user account I was attempting to ssh from. Enter password and I'm in.

Problem:

The non-local machine, does not get the same message. His message goes something like: RSA key could not be validated or matched, connection closed by remote host.

I do not need the RSA part to work, but I at least need the username and pass prompt to work for him.

It is not a network connectivity issue.
I will not be able to disclose specific IP/Port/key etc. information.

Thanks in advance.

I think this is due to the StrictHostKeyChecking option in ssh_config. You have it set to "ask" while the other host has it set to "yes".

Ok

set my StrictHostKeyChecking option to 'ask' had other host set to 'yes'

no joy.

more info on other host message

"unknown keytype 1024, ssh exchange id, connection closed by remote host."

Not what I had in mind. I believe that setting it to "ask" results in the behavior you described as "are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)?"

I believe that setting it to "yes" results in the behavior you describe as "The non-local machine, does not get the same message. His message goes something like: RSA key could not be validated or matched, connection closed by remote host."

To fix the problem set it to "ask" everywhere.

ahh, will try that