ssh to server is not working

When we

ssh -i private key user@ip 

we get the password prompt. The sending servers public key is in the receiving server. We have blown away the known_hosts file on the sending server and restarted the ssh connection. We don't know what else to do. Any other suggestions?

This sounds like ssh1. Or you think it is. What does

ssh -V

show -- when executed on both the local and remote side ?

is not running ssh server on remote or ssh connection is not working that you wanted?

When we run ssh -v it looks like it gets a connection then when it goes into autentication mode it asks for public key and the authentication method disables and goes through keyboard-interactive authentication mode then onto password authentication mode where it finally asks for a password to connect. I don't understand why the public key authentication mode is not working. We recently made some updates to the server. I believe the problem lies on the remote server as the home server can connect to other servers with no problem. What are some files I could check to see if they may have gotten corrupted or lost?

# chmod 700 ~/.ssh
# chmod 600 ~/.ssh/authorized_keys
# service sshd restart

and try again :slight_smile:

Permissions are set and restarted sshd. Still having the same problem. Does NFS have anything to do with issue because NFS is started on the machines that work but not started on the machine that does not work? Just throwing things out there. Keep suggestions coming please.

Look in the syslog on the server.

/usr/adm/syslog/syslog.log

Nothing unusual in the syslog.

did you check your public key on remote server ?

and you can write "ssh -vv " output in the forum ?

I have been asked to post the ssh -vv output and I have been told that I cannot post this information as it contains too much proprietary info. All I can tell you is reference my post stating the authentication method fails to password authentication after it does a successful connection. Also, I referenced the syslog.log and it is saying

. I referenced the internet and a few sources are saying exactly what ygemici posted on the permissions. Any other suggestions?

Make sure the home directory is: drwxr-x---

and ~/.ssh drwxr-x---

and authorized_keys -rw-r-----

All directories have sufficient permissions.

According to: Authentication refused: bad ownership or modes for directory /home

this is where your problem is, it gives that error when the permissions of home are to relaxed. Set it to what I recommended and try it. I had the same thing in the past and this is how I fixed it. Even try the home directory as 700 if 750 still gives same error.

1 Like

750 on the home directory fixed it. This still does not explain why permissions are different on this server compared to other servers with the same accounts who have the same permissions set to 770. Any explanations on why this may be?

Not sure, but you can compare /opt/ssh/etc/sshd_config files on the servers.

Are they all the same HP-UX version? I know there were some changes in security when going to v11.31.

No such luck finding any config issues. Thanks for the help all and I will post if I find any more updates.