ssh times out

I have fedora 13 installed on my home computer.
I am unable to ssh from my office to my home computer.

On trying to ssh to my home computer, I get the following response:

$ ssh -vvv username@129.X.XXX.XXX
OpenSSH_5.3p1, OpenSSL 1.0.0a-fips 1 Jun 2010
debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config
debug1: Applying options for *
debug2: ssh_connect: needpriv 0
debug1: Connecting to 129.X.XXX.XXX [129.X.XXX.XXX] port 22.

and it keeps waiting till timeout

I checked whether the ssh server is running on the home machine and it seems to be running fine:

$ /sbin/service sshd status
openssh-daemon (pid 1280) is running...

I have enabled port forwarding on my router and am able to ssh from the home computer to itself by using the local ip

Don't know what is causing this problem. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Can you ping and telnet to your home computer from work?

I can ping to my home computer.

But cannot telnet:

$ telnet 129.2.165.240
Trying 129.2.165.240...

If you can connect locally, the problem would either be the router, an incorrect IP address, or some firewall inside your ISP.

1 Like

If I check the ip at What Is My IP Address - Shows Your IP Address, I get the correct IP address... So perhaps incorrect IP might not be the problem...

The problem started after I re-installed linux on my machine... Prior to the install I was able to ssh from the office without any problems... This might rule out the ISP firewall theory...

The third possibility (i.e., router setup) could be the issue... Although I had been using the same router prior to the fedora 13 installation, perhaps some setting might have changed on my computer which might be causing the problem...

Could you suggest some tests that I could use to determine what might be the problem... I do not have too much experience in this area... Thanks a lot!

Are you running a local firewall in your home computer? Did you disable it?

1 Like

The local firewall on my home computer was enabled... I tried seeing if disabling it made any difference... It didn't. The problem persists.