ssh setting

I would like to implement the secure shell environment in order for me to close all telnet and ftp ports.

1) Anyone can assist to give me a steps of what to do so that I can implement the ssh on my AIX5.3 server.
2) Currently I have installed putty in my PC to replace telnet directly into the server. Can I then close the telnet port?
3) Do I need to install something on my AIX? such as ssh daemon?
4) how about sftp? How to use sftp to replace my regular ftp from PC or ftp to server?

1. decide which build of openssh to install.

2. download it

3. follow the installation instructions.

Why use "sftp" when you can use "scp" (or putty's pscp)?

I would just use scp, it's quite easy.

You can then use gui scp on windows to drop large amounts of files into aix as well.

I can't find any scp in putty, all putty has is Raw, Telnet, Rlogin, SSH. The version that I have is 0.55.

Any suggestion of build of ssh? and any website for me to download? Tq.

Look in the same directory as putty.exe, you should find pscp.exe.

Is there really no implementation of ssh/openssh packaged/included or bundled with AIX 5.3?

No, not on a base package from IBM.

There comes a CD with each AIX system called "Linux Tool Kit" You should be able to install ssh from there. You may need to install openssl before that from the 3rd CD I suppose.

Regards,

Kaps

Or try "www.thewrittenword.com"

If you don't have the Linux Toolkit CD, you can download the AIX openssh packages from openssh.com's website hosting mirrors: