ssh RSA authentication failure

I am using an ssh pub key on two remote servers to allow ssh session without authentication. Both servers have the same id_rsa.pub copied from the host into the remote servers ~user/.ssh/authorized_keys. There is no passphrase for this key either.

The problem is that I am able to ssh into one remote server without a password prompt while the other server attempts to read the rsa key, but continues onto the password prompt.

Both remote servers have identical ssh_config, sshd_config, authorized_keys, and known_hosts files. V. OpenSSH_3.4p1, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSS

Both ssh outputs are identical up to this point:

GOOD

debug1: authentications that can continue: publickey,password,keyboard-interactive
debug1: next auth method to try is publickey
debug1: try pubkey: /identity-test/id_rsa
debug1: input_userauth_pk_ok: pkalg ssh-rsa blen 149 lastkey 63950 hint 0
debug1: read PEM private key done: type RSA
debug1: ssh-userauth2 successful: method publickey
debug1: fd 6 setting O_NONBLOCK

BAD

debug1: authentications that can continue: publickey,password,keyboard-interactive
debug1: next auth method to try is publickey
debug1: try pubkey: /identity-test/id_rsa
debug1: next auth method to try is keyboard-interactive
debug1: next auth method to try is password

Any ideas?

One common scenario for similar behaviour is that the authorized_keys file has too loose permission. Then, even if you have the public key in the file, it will just refuse to honour.

chmod 600 the file worked for me.

After going as far as double checking PAM modules confs, I did a simple ls -ld on the user's #HOME dir and found that the server not allowing access was 0775 instead of 0755. A quick chmod and I was good to go.

thanks for the input anyway.