ssh - passing password in shell script

I have a requirement, I need to run a command at remote system using a ssh. Is there any way we can pass the username and password in shell script to the ssh command as we did it in one of the shell script for FTP.

ftp -n $i <<!EOF >>
user Username $PASSWD
cd /home/scripts
get $FILE\_up\_test
bye
!EOF

-----
My problem is I can't use rsh.

Is there any simple way other then using RSA based public and private keys- its bit tuff.

Actually this is quite easy.

Keys need to be generated and public keys to be exchanged.

Then you are ready to use passwordless ssh.

There are many threads in the forum discussing the same you could search for them.

i know if you use ssh username@ip.addr it will prompt for the password and bypass the username. I would like to know how to bypass the password as well:)

What I suggested is not for a ssh which prompts for a password

If you generate keys in two hosts for which passwordless ssh is to be enabled and if public keys swapped in .ssh directory of the host, then passwordless ssh can be enabled

Hi,

I have followed all the steps setting up authentication keys for client and server. I have it working in one connection with a remote server. I have sent the same public key to another remote server but everytime I try to connect, the password prompt is coming up.

I have changed the permissions of the folders and files but to no avail. The only thing I haven't tried is to change the permission of the remote server's home directory. It is a shared home directory so I'm reluctant to change it. Would this be what's causing the problem? I have also checked the ssh.config and sshd.config for PubkeyAuthentication, all seems to be ok with 'yes'. Here is the debug of my attempted connection.

debug1: Authentications that can continue: publickey,password,keyboard-interactive
debug1: Next authentication method: publickey
debug1: Offering public key: /home/onp/.ssh/id_rsa
debug1: Authentications that can continue: publickey,password,keyboard-interactive
debug1: Trying private key: /home/onp/.ssh/id_dsa
debug1: Trying private key: /home/onp/.ssh/identity
debug1: Next authentication method: keyboard-interactive
debug1: Next authentication method: password
ftp_Trus@ftp_tlm_prd's password:

I hope someone could help me out.

Mar11B

Hi,

Try the below code.

#!/bin/sh
ftp hostname <<END_SCRIPT
quote USER <username>
quote PASS <password>
cd /home/scripts
get $FILE\_up\_test