ssh Long time to return prompt.

Hi All,

I was installed new server M5000 on solaris10. I'am try to connect to server by ssh client (putty) after type user name and password the server take long time to return prompt to me about 30-60 second. any body can suggess me how to do it.

M5000 firmware upgraded? Should do that first. let us know the outcome.

How to do what? Connect?

If after you login the perfoamce seems fine I would check the following:

1. Naming service, bad config can cause delays.
  2. User authentication, which might relate to number 1.
  3. Port speed and duplex on both sites.

Without more data, that would be my guess. Also I hope you have have some training on the M series, they are a bit uniq.

Check out the M5000 administration doc. They will explain to you how to upgrade the firmware from the web gui.

You could also try 'ssh -vvv $user@$server' to see what ssh is doing for it authentication.

Once logged in check for
network speed/duplex settings 'dladm show-dev',
network errors via netstat
(or as shown here: dladm - Display Link status,speed,duplex,statistics,MTU | Sun Solaris System Admin), and
'svcs -xv' o/p.

I thought OP said that only after hitting the userid and password, the slowness is happening ??:frowning:

Wouldn't -vvv rule out the existance of a delay in the remote server verifying a user's passwd???

There's a good chance the M5000 is trying to do a reverse name lookup on the IP address you're connecting from.

Make sure the host you're connecting from is in either the /etc/hosts file on the M5000 or whatever name service the M5000 is using.

try to ssh with ip address instead of the hostname