ssh connection

pls how do i connect to my freebsd server via ssh from a windows client?? I have sshd running on d freebsd server.

I haven't used it myself, but I know several others who have a program called "putty" on their laptops and use it to connect to various Unix servers. I believe they said it will do ssh.

putty is an excellent ssh client for windows. go here: www.openssh.org

I already have ssh running on d linux 8 srevr, but whenever i try a remote connection from putty 2 d server, d server refuses d conection.
What shuld my connection settings be like on putty?

once you putty installed you should be able to connect to your linux box without any settings on putty unless you have a firewall or tcpwrapper on your linux machine preventing ssh connection.

on your linux machine, check your /etc/hosts.allow
or /etc/hosts.deny for any restriction rules.

if you still can not ssh to your linux machine check /var/log/messages for any error message and post back.

Start with some basic troubleshooting...

1. View your syslog/system messages for obvious errors.

2. Make sure you are actually getting to the system from your client. If you can get to the system through some other means, run a netstat loop or snoop to watch for you IP address inbound on your ssh port. See the man page for snoop or loop the following:

while :
do
netstat -an | grep -iv list | grep <your inbound IP>
done

1. You could also start sshd in debug mode (sshd -D) or even troubleshoot on a differing port (sshd -D -p <someport> -d).

Cheers,

Keith

Putty isn't bad. I prefer SecureCRT (http://www.vandkye.com). You could also put cygwin on your box (http://www.cygwin.com) - that would even let up have a ssh daemon running on your windows box. The other benefit is being able to use XFree if you don't have an X emulator and have the need.

Cheers,

Keith

do you have putty set to connect to ssh on port 22?

By default i think putty tries to connect to telnet or rsh

The Fridgerator is right, putty by default is set to connect via telnet, all you have to do is click a radio button right under where you enter in your host address to connect to, there is a radio button that says "SSH". click that and you should be fine.

As long as the sshd daemon on the host you are connection to is running on the default port of 22. Many people opt to change the port.

Cheers,

Keith