Squid and email client

Hi All,

We plan to use squid has a proxy so my question is if I use squid then is this support email clients like outlook express or microsoft outlook at client side and is any option in the squid to block few of the unwanted URL's

Thanks,
Bachegowda

In other words for the above clarification:

W2k machines connecting to internet through Broadband and they use outlook express and Microsoft outlook has their email client without any problem but we plan to use squid proxy, OS, RedHat linux ES 3.0. In this case, is squid creates any problem for email clients (outlook express and Microsoft outlook)

Thanks
Bache

Hi, You can use Squid + Linux as an internet proxy without any problems with Outlook. Infact squid is one of the best internet proxies available in open source market. In co-ordination with Squid, Smartfilter from Secure computing is a best way to restrict users to use internet.

No issues using Microsoft Outlook clients. Alternatively, if we use smartfilter it will block some of the webmail clients.

Hope this clears your query.

Cheers, Murli. :slight_smile:

Hi,

Please let me know, Is any squid.conf file modifiation needed in order to support Outlook client? and squid.conf file settings to block few of the unwanted sites

Thanks for your inputs.

Regards,
Bachegowda

I have have Squid working for over 200 people all usingOutlook with no problems. As long as Internet Explorer is configured to use the proxy server then programs such as Outlook and even Media Player will use it to connect to the Internet as well.

To block unwanted sites, you can create a new ACL (access control list) the ACL can be applied to a group of users or all users.
Look at about 55% through the squid.conf file and you will see examples of current ACLs.

Hi All,

Thanks a lot for all of you for your valuable inputs for the issue mentioned. Is it possible to provide me configuration file beacuse I am not getting how to add few url to block list

My primary job is to block Yahoo.com, rediffmail.com etc.. After blocking these sites is it necessary to reset cache??? If yes then how to reset cache.

Regards,
Bachegowda

In your squid.conf file above this line:
# TAG: http_access

Enter this exactly as printed:

#start block code
acl bad url_regex "/etc/squid/squid-block.acl"
http_access deny bad
#end block code

Now create the file /etc/squid/squid-block.acl
Enter the domains in squid-block.acl like this:
.domain1.com