SQL loader error

Hi friends,
i am getting the following error when i am using sql loader.
SQL*Loader: Release 8.1.7.4.0 - Production on Tue Apr 19 13:00:07 2005

(c) Copyright 2000 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

SQL*Loader-704: Internal error: ulconnect: OCIServerAttach [0]
ORA-12535: TNS:operation timed out

whats the reason for this ?

thanks in advance
srini

Looks like SQL*Loader cannot connect to Oracle. Based up the error thrown, the tnsnames.ora file is not available, not readable, etc.

At the command line, type the following (be sure to have your set your ORACLE_HOME variable):

oerr ora 12535 This will report what the error was and it will give you a short and long description. It may also give you a clue on how to resolve the issue, though many of the Oracle errors are cryptic or not very useful.

Here is the output if you cant get the oerr command to work.

Oracle error 12535
"TNS:operation timed out"
// *Cause: The requested connection could not be completed within the
timeout period specified by the CONNECT_TIMEOUT parameter in listener.ora.
This error arises from the tnslsnr.
// *Action: Either reconfigure CONNECT_TIMEOUT to be 0, which means wait
indefinitely, or reconfigure CONNECT_TIMEOUT to be some higher value. Or, if
the timeout is unacceptably long, turn on tracing for further information.

sqlldr can't find your database connection information. Ex. sqlldr user/pwd@dbid

If you specified your dbid then the database connection may not be found in the ORACLE_HOME that you are referencing. ORACLE_HOME is clearly being referenced, otherwise, your error text would be more cryptic. Check where ORACLE_HOME points to and then look in $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin/tnsnames.ora for your database ID.

Hi friends,
thanks a lot for your responses . actually the solutions that both of you gave might have helped me but i came to know from my network group that there is some network problem and so i am not able to connect.
thanks a lot again .
i learnt from your solutions that you gave.
bye
veeras