Spool data file

Dear Gurus,

Tried searching for some clues in this forum but dont seem to be able to find my answer. :confused:

Anyway i have a quick question:

Today I have produced a messages generated from a application and placed them on the print queue. Before this I had stopped the printer queue, so that I can capture the spooled data as a file. I need to create the spool file from the print job queue. How can I do that? Realised I can't use lp command to do it...clueless now...:confused:

thanks. :slight_smile:

lweegp

If I understand what your trying to do, this is not possible. Well, at least with standard tools.

I am not sure if i understand you correctly (the same doubt as with frank_rizzo applies). As i understnad it you want to print a document but save the spooled lp-output too.

If so: the "backend" of a print queue is a simple shell script called "rembak". Search in your printer definition file (/etc/qconfig) and you will see it mentioned. his "rembak" can be changed or either replaced completely by a script provided by yourself, as long as it reacts to the same commands/signals as the original ones.

I'd think that this is the best place to start investigating, maybe you can "hook" into this script and save the output you want in the moment prior to it being printed.

I hope this helps.

bakunin