Specifying file system mount order

Does anyone know if it's possible to specify the mount order of local and remote file systems? I'd like to mount a local ZFS file system on top of an NFS mount automatically and have that repeated on every reboot.

I've checked man pages and Google, but can't find anything that addresses, specifcally, determining a specific mount order. I thought it might lie in the actual order of entry of mounts in /etc/vfstab, but I can't find anything confirming or refuting that, either.

Thanks for your input on this.

It is /etc/vfstab, isn't it?

What I want to do at boot time is mount a ZFS file system on to an NFS mounted file system. Obviously, I have to wait until the NFS mount is complete before attempting the ZFS mount.

How do I tell the system to do this? I thought it would be inherent in the order of the mounts as they're listed in /etc/vfstab, but I can't confirm that (I don't have a test system to play with, either).

Well, Solaris doesn't mount filesystems asynchronously, so if the NFS mount succeeds the ZFS one should too, as the order is defined in /etc/vfstab.

ZFS mounts are not normally in /etc/vfstab.

IIRC you can set the mount point in ZFS file systems to "legacy" so you can put it into /etc/vfstab.

1 Like

I did not know. Thank you.

'legacy'...thanks! That's a use for that tag I didn't realize. Ok then, if things get mounted in /etc/vfstab order, setting that ZFS file sytem to legacy and entering it in /etc/vfstab AFTER my NFS mount should do it.

Thanks again!