SPARCstation is broadcasting as boot server

Hey guys...hopefully this will be a fairly easy one.

I've got an old SPARCstation 5 running Sun 5.5.1 that I just hooked up to the network so that I can run HP OpenView. The box is working fine, but it is broadcasting as a boot server. In other words, when co-workers come in and get ready to log into their X-Terminals, they now see my box as one of the possible machines to log into

This is a bad thing.

Any ideas??

TIA,

-cd

I recently had to turn off some boot servers on more recent versions of solaris. I expect this would be the same for you, but you may need to look at some man pages to verify that on your older version.

The things I did were:

1. Comment out the tftp line from /etc/inetd.conf. This prevents it from accepting tftp connections after you boot it.

2. Kill the rpc.bootparamd process and the in.rarpd process.

3. Delete the file /etc/bootparams.

4. If it is there, delete the file /etc/ethers.

5. Remove the /tftpboot directory

Those did the job for me, but like I said you might want to check manpages on all those things to verify that is exactly the same for your situation.

i dont believe he is talking about Jumpstarts bootservices.

i think hes talking more about the dtlogin processes.

cdunavent i wouldnt worry about it the stations are just showing you which servers area accessable. If you dont want the solaris station to allow a xwindows sessions at all you can kill the dtlogin process on the solaris server itself.

the daemon is started at boot on in /etc/rc2.d/S99dtlogin

btw the configuration for the dt processes is by default in /usr/dt/config. but if /etc/dt/config exhists it reads that dir first.

if you dont want to have the server show up on other stations you can stop the xdm processes.

http://www.netsys.com/cgi-bin/man2html?xdm\(1\)

(hint check out teh Xaccess file to stop it from broadcasting)