SPARC Enterprise T5440 Server, can not power off

SPARC Enterprise T5440 Server, can not power off

I connect to Service Processor via serial port and submit the following to boot the system, it boots fine but can not power off the system. Can someone help?

The following takes me to unix login

-> start /SYS

-> start /SP/console

\{0\} ok boot

console login:
    -  I login here

\# /usr/sbin/shutdown -g0 -i5 -y
- this command initiates the shutdown process, but reboots automatically after reaching "syncing file systems... done"
- the admin manual says the following
    syncing file systems... done
    Program terminated
    r\)eboot, o\)k prompt, h\)alt?

- but it does not show the last 2 lines above, and proceeds to restart, eventually reaching the "\{0\} ok" prompt

I also tried to go to \#. to stop the /SYS
-> stop /SYS
Are you sure you want to stop /SYS \(y/n\)? y
Stopping /SYS

- but again it restarts automatically

Can someone tell me how to poweroff and stay power off this unix server?

Thanks in advance
Paul

I'm not sure that I fully understand what you are saying so this is not intended to be an answer to your question but might just tell you something that you don't already know.

I believe this box has a System Controller (that's an underlying Linux appliance that controls the hardware platform and boot process.

The serial console connection can talk to the console OR the System Controller. If you are connected to the system console and you want to talk to the System Controller then you enter #. (hash-dot), no return needed. You then get the SC> prompt. If you are connected to the System Controller and you want to talk to the console then you enter the command "console" at the SC> prompt and it connects you to the console.

There are two ways to power off the box (other than the shutdown command you posted).

1. Enter "init 5" at the session level. Run-level 5 means shutdown & power off. For this to work the some System Controller commands must be configured properly.

2. Enter "init 0" at the session level. This will take the system down to the "ok" prompt. At this prompt enter #. to switch to the SC. At the SC> prompt enter the command "poweroff". It will ask you to confirm that you really really mean it but if you confirm and just wait for about 60 seconds, you will get confirmation that power to the box is gone.

Hope that helps.

Thank you for the reply.

This machine has Service Processor with the prompt ->

"stop /SYS" is the command to stop the system, but it automatically restarts to {0} ok prompt.

power-off command at {0} ok prompt also restarts back to {0} ok prompt.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks

your first try should be a firmware update... behavior like that might be a bug...

What happens if you enter this at the Service Processor prompt:

stop -force -script /SYS 

Ensure the O/S is down (and all data saved) before this.

I did try that command.

stop -force -script /SYS
I can see the it goes to power off status momentarily and then it proceeds to power on status automatically.

hi
type this cmd on ALOM
type set /HOST/bootmode script="setenv auto-boot? false"

this stop automatically goto ok prompt